Questions about Adjuncts in a LME NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbkr

Reaction score
Second brew (technically third time, but a Mr. Beer Kit doesn't really count) and working up a NEIPA. Idea is to make a sessionable fruit bomb.

Recipe is here: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/963611/alien-quarantine

Worked this up before I really understood BIAB so have already ordered the LME. However, recent reading suggests that steeping the Flaked Oats and Flaked Barley as planned (still learning brewers friend but the plan was steep for 30 min at 140-170 degrees) won't create the necessary sugars to convert them into alcohol.

Should I try to grab ~2 lbs of 2-row to steep along with the oats/barley? Or is there another way to make these fermentable? Or am I worrying too much and having them as adjuncts/the sugar will add much needed body to a fruit forward, low ABV IPA? Or am I completely messed up and I should just up the alcohol?

Thanks for the help!

You could add some corn sugar (8oz) and a tad of pale malt (6oz) if you want a higher abv. Check out Brewersbest . They put their recipes online for you to download . When I first started brewing I used their kits and never had 1 issue . I think the quality is pretty dang good .

Second brew (technically third time, but a Mr. Beer Kit doesn't really count) and working up a NEIPA. Idea is to make a sessionable fruit bomb.

Recipe is here: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/963611/alien-quarantine

Worked this up before I really understood BIAB so have already ordered the LME. However, recent reading suggests that steeping the Flaked Oats and Flaked Barley as planned (still learning brewers friend but the plan was steep for 30 min at 140-170 degrees) won't create the necessary sugars to convert them into alcohol.

Should I try to grab ~2 lbs of 2-row to steep along with the oats/barley? Or is there another way to make these fermentable? Or am I worrying too much and having them as adjuncts/the sugar will add much needed body to a fruit forward, low ABV IPA? Or am I completely messed up and I should just up the alcohol?

Thanks for the help!

If you only steep the oats and barley you will not get conversion and will end up with a starch haze in the beer....but aren't NEIPA's cloudy anyway? I think the idea is to get the silky mouthfeel from the oats and extra body and heading from the barley. I'd use more LME or DME if you wanted more alcohol but since you used the word "sessionable" I presume the recipe will be fine or maybe just a bit too much alcohol for a sessionable beer. If you want lower alcohol, use less LME.

Latest posts

Back