Question e-herms with a rims style tube for HEX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moclamd

Reaction score
I am looking at adding RIMS or HERMS to my current single vessel BIAB rig. I have a long piece of straight 1/2" copper pipe laying around as well as a long piece of 1 1/2" galvanized steel pipe and most of the fittings for both. I even have a spare water heater element. Obviously I wouldn't want wort to come in contact with the galvanized pipe but would it be feasible to build a "RIMS tube" out of the galvanized pipe, then run the copper pipe through the galvanized rims tube to act as a HEX? Would a 3' or 4' HEX of this type be enough to maintain wort temps? Would I want to monitor temps in the rims tube, or on the herms output? I know it would be simpler to just buy a RIMS tube from Brewers Hardware or add an HLT with a proper HERMS coil, but If I could build something with the parts I have on hand I could spend the extra money on ingredients.

3-4 feet of straight pipe seems too short to me for efficient transfer of temperature. It might work but it seems like you'd have to really slow the flow and I suspect you'd also have some temperature stratification issues...as in the end opposite your element is going to be a bit cooler than the element end. I'd also recommend always measuring the temp of the liquid exiting the HEX.

The water in his hex could be a lot higher since he won't be using it as spathe water. I think it's worth a shot since you have all the parts and it really only costs time

RE: "a long piece of 1 1/2" galvanized steel pipe "
For others reading this thread:
NEVER USE " galvanized " in home brewing.
(Presumably moclamd subsequenlty died of zinc poisoning?)

RE: "a long piece of 1 1/2" galvanized steel pipe "
For others reading this thread:
NEVER USE " galvanized " in home brewing.
(Presumably moclamd subsequenlty died of zinc poisoning?)

I think but could be wrong. His plan is to heat water in the galvanized pipe which will not touch any part of the wort/mash. It's only use would be to heat the copper tube. Like I said I could be wrong. But you are 100% correct.

Now back on topic...To me this seems like a lot of work to save just a few dollars. Coils in a pot sounds way cheaper and safer to me.

I can picture the copper tube running through the galvanized tube. I can see a heating element in the galvanized tube. Now, would you have a kettle supplying water circulation to the galvanized tube? Because I can see an end cap on the galvanized tube which looks like huge steam powered pipe bomb to me. Drilling a hole to release the pressure would mean you would have to add water to the tube. That sounds like a royal pain in the A$$ to me. I'm not sure what my HLT steams off over 60-90 minutes at 152F but I'm sure it's does. Maybe I'm not picturing what it will look like.

Back