Question before I start drilling holes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_M

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing- never brewed before - and I'm working on getting my gear setup. I've bought it in pieces and changed what I want to do a couple times so far. I'm now setting up an electric three kettle HERMs system. I have two 10gal kettles and a 16gal kettle. I see most three kettle setups typically use the same size pot for all three but I don't want to buy more kettles. I was planning on using the 10gal kettles for the HLT and MLT and the 16 for the BK and am wondering if this is the best plan.

FWIW The original plan was to do 5gal batches but from what I've read I should have enough capacity to be able to do 10gal batches.

Thanks for any help!
Ryan

I posted this question in the beginner section this morning. Lot of views but no replies - I probably put it in the wrong spot. Newb mistake.

Anyway some parts are going to be here likely tomorrow and I want to get started on this. So I'm new to brewing- never brewed before - and I'm working on getting my gear setup. I've bought it in pieces and changed what I want to do a couple times so far. I'm now setting up an electric three kettle HERMs system. I have two 10gal kettles and a 16gal kettle. I see most three kettle setups typically use the same size pot for all three but I don't want to buy more kettles. I was planning on using the 10gal kettles for the HLT and MLT and the 16 for the BK and am wondering if this is the best plan.

FWIW The original plan was to do 5gal batches but from what I've read I might have enough capacity to be able to do 10gal batches.

Thanks for any help!
Ryan

I think your plan is fine and they don't need to be the same size. Yes you could do 10 gallon batches with that setup.

I don't think you can do really big 10 gallon brews with a 10 gallon mash tun but you can go as big as you want for 5 gallons.

10 gallon mash tun won't be big enough for 10 gallon batches unless they are low gravity. When I do 11 gallon batches of my "house" ale I am right at 10 gallons, OG is typically 1.054 on it.

That was my first thought, too. I'd start with some five gallon batches and see how your system works. Also, there's no rule that you have to do batches in increments of five - you could do 7 or 8 gallon batches if you wanted.

I think you are going to need a pump to push wort through your herms coil and it is better to have another pump to recirculate the water around the coil so it is less stratified.

Are you planning to build or buy a control panel for your PID(s) and other controls like pump on/offs? Are you planning to put heating elements in each vessel or just the HLT and boil kettle?

Last edited:
Not quite an answer to your question, but take a moment to consider going to a single vessel e-BIAB. In retrospect, that is what I wish I had done - less equipment, less to store, less to clean, and probably close to the same efficiency and control. I am moving in that direction slowly (and backtracking on money already spent). My long-term plan is to use an element in a 15-16g pot with a re-circulation setup for mash temp control. Something to consider.

For your question: A 10 gallon HLT should be fine. You might fill and refill it more than otherwise, but otherwise it should not be an issue. A 10 gallon mash tun may limit you on size for larger beers, but I've done 1.100+ 5g batches in a 10 gallon cooler mash tun. The boil kettle size is right for 5g to 10g batches, and with Fermcap and keeping an eye on it, you could probably push that a little bit.

You'll definitely need the 15 gallon kettle for boiling if you try making a 10 Gal batch, no way around it.
Unfortunately , you'll find you generally need about 16 gallons of hot water to make a 10G batch, but you can always add more water to the HLT after you dough in. You can see how that might create a problem if you add cold water to the HLT (with the HEX inside) as you start mashing...but you could use the BK to hear that water, right?

Might as well bite the bullet and go with 3x25 gal vessels, ;)
JK of course, what you have will get you going fine.
Cheers

Thanks for the input! Doing 10gal batches isn't really a priority over 5gal batches but it seems I have some extra capacity to make a larger batch, even if I can't get to a full 10gal.

My concern now is what to to set each kettle up for so I can start building. Given the kettles I have on hand using the 10 gals for HLT and MLT, and the 16gal for the BK makes the most sense?

Thanks!

Yes, your BK will be the most limiting for size because of the foam initially produced during boiling (I brew 20 gallons in a 30 gallon pot and keep a hair dryer nearby to blow down the foam). The next limiting factor will be your MLT, and last your HLT - for example, I haven't upsized my HLT yet and am running 30, 30, 20 and can do 20 gallon batches no problem...
welcome to the madness,
Cheers!

Last edited:
Got your two threads merged and in the forum you wanted. Learned something new about the forum software, change is hard . . . LOL.

Back