Question about sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbiebrewer27587

Reaction score
Greetings all and Happy Holidays! Am presently brewing my 7th batch since picking up this hobby earlier in the year. I have a question. I am very careful to keep everything clean and sanitized, and after the first batch I went and bought a strainer. I also use small spice bags to put my hops into instead of just dropping them loose into the wort. I have strained the wort before it goes into the fermenting bucket, and strain it again as it goes into the bottling bucket. Here's my question; I still end up with quite a bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. When poured into a glass the beer is clear and has a good flavor, it's just kind of gross to see the sediment! What, if anything can I do to reduce or not get this sediment? Thanks for your input, cheers!

The sediment is the waste from the bottle priming, it can't be avoided. Just decant the bottle into a jug or large glass before drinking

Not sure how u r straining when going to the bottling bucket but be careful u don't want to oxidize ur beer it'll taste like cardboard.

geim32 said:
Not sure how u r straining when going to the bottling bucket but be careful u don't want to oxidize ur beer it'll taste like cardboard.

I use the curved siphon and what I do is sit the hose going into the bottling bucket inside the strainer.

Back