Question about RO water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 263363

Reaction score
I have 4 extract brews under my belt and I plan to continue with extract for certain recipes but I also have the equipment to move up to BIAB. My next brew I am planning is for BIAB.

I have read to use RO water for extract due to already having minerals and the water profile the people making the extract were shooting for. As far as all grain/BIAB, would it be safe to say using RO and tailoring the water to the recipe would still be a good idea?

I only ask as I have an essentially unlimited supply of RO water at work since we have two 50 gpm units that run daily. So it would be very simple to just grab some whenever I am planning a brew day.

Yup, starting with a clean slate (RO) is the easiest. Use a water calculator (e.g., Bru'nWater, free edition is fine) for your mineral additions and mash pH estimates. A little acid may be needed to bring your predicted mash pH in the proper range (5.2-5.6). The calculator will tell you how much. It's fun toying with it.

There are also RO units that have a remineralizer too.... so you might be Zero ppm OR you might have a nice profile as I do from my RO unit.
Not all RO units are the same

Yup, starting with a clean slate (RO) is the easiest. Use a water calculator (e.g., Bru'nWater, free edition is fine) for your mineral additions and mash pH estimates. A little acid may be needed to bring your predicted mash pH in the proper range (5.2-5.6). The calculator will tell you how much. It's fun toying with it.

I will definitely look at Bru’nWater. Thanks!

There are also RO units that have a remineralizer too.... so you might be Zero ppm OR you might have a nice profile as I do from my RO unit.
Not all RO units are the same

Ours certainly does not have a remineralizer as it is used for process steam.

Latest posts

Back