Question about fermentation and kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrehm81

Reaction score
My name is Mitch. I'm new to this. I have brewed a few beers so far and they have tasted ok. My question is...once I am done fermenting, how long should i keep the beer in the priming tank before I keg the beer or what suggestions would others have. I am currently fermenting a stout.

Generally, the higher the OG, the longer you want to let the beer age. However, I have found that almost all brews ( with the exception of a few such as wheat beers) benefit greatly from 4-6 months aging from brewday to drinking, however, you wouldn't want to let it sit on the yeast that long. Some of this time can be spent in the keg. Many will tell you that you don't need to secondary, and I find this to be true, though I still do it when I want to age a beer before kegging. You can easily keg several weeks to a month after brewing, and let the beer condition in the keg as well. I usually do whatever time allows.

so you are suggesting a fermentation of 7-12 days then possibly putting in secondary or keg for another 2-3 weeks

so you are suggesting a fermentation of 7-12 days then possibly putting in secondary or keg for another 2-3 weeks

That works. I will sometimes leave it in the fermenter for 14 days before kegging or putting in the secondary. Sometimes, though, time gets away from me and I leave it for 3 weeks in the primary before racking.

Welcome :mug:
For most average gravity brews, 14 days till bottling/kegging.
After that, hoppy beers like to be drank young, and higher alcohol beers like some age.

The whole key to it is all in my avatar! Add more hops, drink fresh and young!

MMMMM Hops!!!!

I do 7-10 primary(plastic) then 7-14 secondary in glass I find this helps to clarify my beers a bit more before kegging and bottling.. But have lets them go 4 weeks in each when I have not had time to get to it and it has still been great beer.

Back