Question about dry-hopping with pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ain

Reaction score
I'm planning to correct a modest level of aroma of an Munichdunkel with some hops. For the first time I'll use pellets. I will be very grateful if somebody can tell be If the volume of pellets will increase significantly during immersion.
I need that because I will use a small SS cylindrical recipient/sieve with limited volume instead a hopping bag.

Last edited:
They do swell up but after they lose their shape from soaking up the beer they will pack together nicely in your sieve. I would not worry too much about it.

Umm...a Munich Dunkel should not be dry hopped.
Obviously brew to your tastes, but it stops being a Munich Dunkel if it's noticeably hoppy.
It's like these hoppy Kolsches I'm seeing these days. Um if its really hoppy and dry-hopped, it's not a Kolsch.
I'm not trying to be a style nazi, but words mean things and style descriptors are there to describe a style.
Some will counter by saying that styles are flexible, but only to a degree.
If you make New England Clam Chowder but add ground beef instead of clams, it isn't clam chowder anymore...

Again, if you are dissatisfied with your beer and you want to tweak it, by all means I'm not saying you shouldn't, but it would not be accurate to call it a Munich-style Dunkel anymore.

Back