Question about DIY wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KepowOb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm about to start my first ventures into home brewing and I'm pretty excited :). I've already ordered everything I need, except I plan on building my own wort chiller.

I have a 9-gallon SS kettle on the way, and I'll be doing 5-gal batches to start. My local hardware store is selling their 25' rolls of 3/8" and 1/2" copper tubing for the same price (okay, the 1/2" is one cent more expensive). If I go with 25' of 1/2", would that be good enough? I've read in some places that 20' of 3/8" is plenty, and others who say you shouldn't go with less than 50'. I know the 1/2" gives you a bit more surface area though, so would I be alright? I don't want something that is the bare minimum either.

If I end up going to 50', I'll be going with 3/8" as then there is a giant price jump between the two sizes.... I don't get how they price copper tubing. Everywhere has wildly varying prices, it's almost like they just randomly come up with numbers in their head. I can get two 25' rolls of 1/2" for less than one 50' roll... but one 50' roll of 3/8" is cheaper than two 25' rolls.

I would look into making a counterflow chiller. If you are going to build one yourself and all. The immersion chilller works fine, but it works much better if you stir while cooling and you have to cool the entire volume at once instead of smaller portions.

Just my opinion, but you will definitely be happier with a counterflow chiller. Especially after about 5-10 brew sessions when you get tired of stirring.

Back