Question about arrogant bastard clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyklez

Reaction score
Wow, the first forum website I've ever joined, the first thread I've ever started. And of course it's all because of the love of beer. I'm a new brewer (I have a brewers best IPA in the primary for about a week now) but have been reading this site in preparation for a few months. I'm a nerd when it comes to projects, which means I prepare relentlessly. This includes reading all of Palmer's How To Brew (excluding the all grain sections...I'll get there eventually) two months ago. With my first tentatively successful batch safely bubbling away, I've been looking for recipes for what's next. I love stone's AB and found this extract recipe in one of the threads. I'll include the recipe below. My question is, it calls for some flavoring grains in addition to the extract to be used. But it doesn't explain what to do with these grains. Are they to be steeped? Should they join in for the entire long boil? I read the rest of the thread the recipe was included in and couldn't find a definitive answer. So I'll turn my question over to the community. The good news is, I stopped by my local homebrew shop - All Seasons in Nashville - and they have the malts the recipe calls for. Thanks for your help everyone, and I'm glad to be a part of the HB community!

Recipe: Arrogant Bastard Clone
Brewer: Tyson Beggs
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.33 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 20.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 50.00 %
3.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 30.00 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (75 min) Hops 27.8 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

yes, you will want to steep your grains. the temps for steeping don't have to be as accurate as when mashing. a 1/2 hour in the mid 150 range with around 2 gal volume should do. pull the grains out, rinse with hot h2o or don't, start your boil.

Welcome to the forum !!!!

I think you are going to put those grains in a muslin bag and steep for 20-25 min around 150ish ....looks like a good recipe

Thanks guys, that's what I figured. Steeping is the way to go. Also, I have a 7 gal brew pot so I would prefer a full boil. Is it ok to steep in the full amount, or should I stick to a 2 gallon wort to steep, then fill up to 5 when I'm ready to boil? Finally (and thanks again for your help) is there an equation I can use to calculate the increased IBUs from boiling the full 5 gal batch, or should I just go ahead and buy beer smith and let it do the calculation for me?

I made this recipe steeping the specialty grains in two gallons of water at 160 degrees for 30 minutes prior to the boil. I then added the rest of the water and the LME. It came out awesome. I enjoyed it so much that I just re-brewed as a partial mash, as I was unable to get the extract version to attenuate below 1.02.

I'm doing an all grain test batch tonite of 2 1/2 gallons (I have a mini keg free) and have wanted to do an AB for a long while. I've decided to try the US-04 yeast to see how it works out.

Sorry for not putting on my recipe about steeping the grains, but yes all the specialty grains I steeped for 30 minutes at 160. It's a great recipe and from some blind taste test of buddies they picked this one over the commercial version (not saying its better, but it's dang good). Good luck and let me know if you have questions.

snyklez said:
Thanks guys, that's what I figured. Steeping is the way to go. Also, I have a 7 gal brew pot so I would prefer a full boil. Is it ok to steep in the full amount, or should I stick to a 2 gallon wort to steep, then fill up to 5 when I'm ready to boil? Finally (and thanks again for your help) is there an equation I can use to calculate the increased IBUs from boiling the full 5 gal batch, or should I just go ahead and buy beer smith and let it do the calculation for me?

I would personally stick with the 2 gallons but you could do it either way. I do all grain only any more but when I did the extract i personally like to steep in 1-2 gallons and boil at 5-6 (expect some boil off and you want 5 gallons net).

tbeggs15 said:
Sorry for not putting on my recipe about steeping the grains, but yes all the specialty grains I steeped for 30 minutes at 160. It's a great recipe and from some blind taste test of buddies they picked this one over the commercial version (not saying its better, but it's dang good). Good luck and let me know if you have questions.

Fantastic, a post from the recipe creator! This site is great. Thank you for the clarification. I figured steeping was right, but just wanted to be sure. Can't wait to try this recipe.

Hey folks, hopefully one last question regarding this recipe. I'm brewing this clone Sunday, and looking through there is an estimated OG and no FG. I'm curious if anyone's made this and still has notes on their actual OG and FG. I'm just trying to get a sense for the parameters. I still haven't gotten beersmith either, which I need to do, but maybe that can estimate both as well? Thanks for the help!

Hey folks, hopefully one last question regarding this recipe. I'm brewing this clone Sunday, and looking through there is an estimated OG and no FG. I'm curious if anyone's made this and still has notes on their actual OG and FG. I'm just trying to get a sense for the parameters. I still haven't gotten beersmith either, which I need to do, but maybe that can estimate both as well? Thanks for the help!

Here's my 1/2 batch test that I just kegged last night:

Boil Size: 4.65 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.65 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.05 gal
Estimated OG: 1.075 SG
Estimated Color: 23.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 78.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 101.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs 4.0 oz Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 86.2 %
1 lbs Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.8 %
0.50 oz Chinook [12.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 32.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [12.80 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 4 29.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [12.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 16.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [12.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
0.8 pkg SafAle English Ale (Fermentis #S-04) [47 Yeast 7 -
0.50 oz Chinook [11.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

I actually BIAB'd this and dry hopped with 1 oz instead of 1/2. I'm told Stone doesn't dry hop this but it's my beer. :)
I usually hit gravities pretty close to the recipes and get great efficiency. This time I had an OG of 1.066 and a FG of 1.019 with an ABV just above 6. Not sure why but I think I had things a bit too cold in my fermenter. Smaller batches are harder for me to keep at a non fluctuating temperature.
Test jar tasted great. Doubt it's a true clone but I really wasn't aiming at an exact. I just love Chinook.

Latest posts

Back