This is why I drink in the first place...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
Last night, I was preparing to make cheese for the first time: a batch of paneer. I was laying out my ingredients, milk, lime juice, my stock pot, colander, cheesecloth, listening while I did so to the steady hiss of the batch of Skeeter Pee in a bucket next to me, covered with a tshirt because as I understand it, wine yeast likes a little more O2 during its initial fermentation stages, and supposedly Skeeter Pee isn't an hospitable environment for yeast to begin with.

I was enjoying my evening; life has been difficult lately, as happens sometimes, but fermenting and cooking always make me feel better. And then....THERE WAS A GIGANTIC SPLASH AS ONE OF MY F()&&*# CATS LANDED ON TOP OF THE F(&%^#( TSHIRT DRAGGING IT AND THE CAT INTO MY PRECIOUS BOOZE.

DAMMIT.

Sigh.

She spent the rest of the evening sitting next to me for comfort as she licked off every inch of wet fur several times over. Because if a cat is going to jump into your fermenter, of course she's going to rub it in afterward. Meanwhile, I had another homebrew, and reminded myself that if Skeeter Pee is tough for yeast to live in, surely that bodes well for surviving a meeting with a cat's a$&.

Why did you not have a lid on your bucket with an airlock??

Because, as I said, my understanding is that wine yeasts like the extra O2 of an open ferment, which I figured might help out a more difficult fermentation like Skeeter Pee, and also because hindsight is always 20/20.

My skeeter pee has a lid on it.
it moves slow, but meh, its pluggin away and it moving still.
I just degassed at around half-way. should be all you need to do. atleast skeeter pee is cheap

I keep my skeeter pee covered with the lid. I don't snap it down or put an airlock on it. I do this to prevent things like this from happening.

Did no one else think how funny this was? If he would have put lid on there like the rest of us did I would have not busted out laughing at work and had my co workers ask what is so funny. Three times!? So now I'm the weird guy laughing in his office, by himself, at the computer screen for no reason, and for that thank you for not putting a lid on the skeeter pee or tom cat piss whatever Thanks :mug:

Please tell me the cat is named Skeeter. Or at least that you are considering renaming it.

Her name is actually Penelope, "Penny," but there's always room for nicknames. You know, apart from "f)%@^$* cat," as in "f)%@^$* cat, what did you do now?"

Wow...

525x348px-LL-bf1c3650_HolyNecroPost_759032.jpeg

Back