Stupid fermention question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
I have an IPA that is on its third day of fermentation. During the day the fermentation hits around 68-72 deg but at night it usually hits closer to 58-60 is this going to cause problems. I noticed this morning the air lock was bubbling only once every 3-4 seconds because it was so cold(58 should I try and correct it? It's the only cool part of my house everywhere else gets a lot hotter in the day but not As cold at night. Also any preference on fermention times for primary and secondary with hops before I bottle

The temperature fluctuation will cause stress on the yeast maybe cause off flavors. When the Temperature drops below the range of the yeast the yeast may fall out of suspension.

You might want to try setting the fermenter in a bucket of water like a swamp cooler but it will help regulate temp fluctuations. Many even use an aquarium heater with that to keep temps nominal.

I cover mine with tee shirts,velvet smoking jacket,or even a fleece lined CPO to help stabilize ferment temps. Depends on the season.

It should take a very long time for 5 gallons of fermenting beer to change temperatures that much!

Is it the beer temperature that is changing that much, or the room temperature? It's important to monitor the beer temperature and not the ambient room temperature. Many people have "stick on" thermometers on their fermenters so they can see the temperature at a glance.

You really don't want temperature fluctuations, which can cause off flavors in the beer. A cooler or bin with a water bath around the fermenter can help hold temperatures stable.

I just wrapped a jacket around it I live in a brick house so it's cold art of the day and scorching in the afternoon hard to keep steady anywhere

I just wrapped a jacket around it I live in a brick house so it's cold art of the day and scorching in the afternoon hard to keep steady anywhere

A water bath will REALLY help! I fill up a tall cooler, and put the fermenter in that, and then add water to that to the level of the beer. It really helps reduce big temperature fluctuations, since takes a long time for that much liquid to change temperature.

Unfortunately, big temperature fluctuations usually have a detrimental impact on the flavor of the beer.

The tub worked great in a weeks fermentation was done its tasted good no off flavor, I dry
Hopped and I guess we will see in a few weeks
After bottling how it did

Back