World Travelers- Need Your Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
I'm leaving for my Honeymoon on Monday, May 13th. We're going to Madrid for 4 days and the to Barcelona for 5.

It's in my nature to research, plan, and plot specific places of interest (tapas, restaurants, bars, the best place for *insert regional delicacy here*), etc.

So after all the research I've done, I realized something...While I know where those places are, how will I know where *I* am at that moment in time? Let me explain...

I've heard the horror stories about using your phone (I have an iphone 4s) in other countries and getting slammed with insane charges. So I've heard that the best thing to do when you arrive is to put your iphone on "airplane" mode and then turn your wifi to "on," and whenever you come across a free wifi connection, you can hop onto it and do your thing. Here's what I don't understand though, If I can't use my Google Maps app (which I'm assuming I can't because the airplane mode will be off), how will I ever know where I am in relation to my points of interest? For example, let's say I leave our hotel in the morning and take an 8 minute ride in the subway to a certain part of town, and then head into a pastry shop for breakfast. After I come out of that pastry shop, how am I able to identify on a large map of Barcelona (or Madrid) exactly where I am if I'm not able to use GPS?

Has anyone experienced this issue before? While it's awesome to have places of interest outlined all over the maps of the city, how do I even know if I'm near those places if I can't plot my exact location on a map using GPS?

HELP!

You're going to need quadrangle maps, a handheld gps unit, and a UTM grid finder. We used to have to do this all the time before they put gps on cell phone computers.

If you find some good places to go in Barcelona please share - I'll be there in June.

Check with your wireless phone carrier. Some of them have plans for people who travel abroad that are monthly agreements.

There is also the option of renting a gps at your destination. Oftentimes you can get them at car rental places.

Additionally, I seem to remember google maps will cache maps for you. Should make it easier to look at the map. And you can always ask a helpful shopkeep. Or the guy selling oranges or plastic bags of juice on the side of the road. Or that enterprising lass on the corner.

Check with your wireless phone carrier. Some of them have plans for people who travel abroad that are monthly agreements.
Typically outrageously expensive though.

Sometimes a phone can dial-in on a location based on the wifi signal it is picking up, but I wouldn't rely on that.

On my Android phone, I can turn off my mobile broadband access, but still leave the phone receiver and GPS antenna on. Don't know if such an option exists on the iPhone or not. You don't need a network connection to use GPS, so kill the wireless data connection, don't answer the phone if it rings, etc.

But I'd probably have a backup plan - handheld GPSr (the new Garmin units are pretty sweet, and can easily fit in a purse or pants pocket) or printed maps.

I am a planner myself JeffoC6, so I know where you are coming from.

But my advise is a bit different.

Turn it off completely and go old school.

Get a map (the paper type) from your hotel, ask them to mark the things you want to see and start exploring.

When you want to know where you are in relation to the map, ask a local or a shop owner. Some of my best times traveling have come from random interactions with locals. I know it sounds all Rick Steves but it really is true.

If you really want to experience a culture this (in my opinion) is the only way to go.

Sure, you might get lost a bit. You might even miss one or two of the sights that you have on your list. But, you stand a much better chance of really experiencing the culture.

Oh yeah... congrats!

I love Barcelona. Eat some seafood at places meant for locals(off the beaten track). You will see places with live fish in a basket in the window. Drink some absinthe and cava.

Turn it off completely and go old school.

Get a map (the paper type) from your hotel, ask them to mark the things you want to see and start exploring.

I would have to agree 100%, it's half the fun. I pretty much never use my phone overseas except to check the time. Most people are happy to help and even if you get a little off track you might stumble across something interesting you may have missed otherwise.

+1 to the map, or if you have a good sense of direction, just wander. Some of my favorite memories were created due to my wandering habit. I used to work in London a few months a year and would stay in a different hotel every few weeks. The first night in a new place I go for a walk and noted which restaurants, attractions etc looked fun. Then tried one each night. I remember an amazing italian restaurant in London that was in a small lane (i.e. foot path) between two buildings that I never would have found if I had used GPS, it simply isn't on the maps since one person can barely spread their arms out without touching both sides of the street. Also had the best indian food ever by just walking into a restaurant one night on a whim. Just explore and have fun with it, it can be hard for those of us afflicted with OCD, but is also extremely satisfying.

+1 to the map, or if you have a good sense of direction, just wander. Some of my favorite memories were created due to my wandering habit. I used to work in London a few months a year and would stay in a different hotel every few weeks. The first night in a new place I go for a walk and noted which restaurants, attractions etc looked fun. Then tried one each night. I remember an amazing italian restaurant in London that was in a small lane (i.e. foot path) between two buildings that I never would have found if I had used GPS, it simply isn't on the maps since one person can barely spread their arms out without touching both sides of the street. Also had the best indian food ever by just walking into a restaurant one night on a whim. Just explore and have fun with it, it can be hard for those of us afflicted with OCD, but is also extremely satisfying.

This especially works well in countries like Costa Rica where there are no streetnames and addresses are given in the form of "X Km from the mango tree on the left."

My best experience has been with a map. Do u speak Spanish ( or french), if not try to learn at least the basics please, thank you, etc...? I try to semi plan, meaning I have must sees, but my worst experiences were traveling with checklisters. I finally learned to separate from them after breakfast or I used my morning run as an exuse to ditch em. If you're just checking off a list you are a tourist, if you are EXPERIENCING culture you are a traveler. Don't spend all your time doing touristy district stuff, 4 days and 5 days, check out the country side, the fish markets, dance until the sun comes up, and enjoy yourself. be flexible and friendly, you never know what opportunity could arise if you aren't so busy trying to get to the next place. Also, I highly recommend the siesta, or grab some wine and find a view, best way to spend lunch.

We just got married 6 months ago, so congrats! If we would've been stuck to a plan with no flexibility I would've been back at the courthouse that weekend if not dead. Long story, border police, a crying bride, A broke down car...... But we ended up having a great honeymoon. (kinda, I'll still owe her a real one)

Remember it's not the destination, it's the adventure.

Couldn't agree enough with what bueschen said....best part is wandering around and seeing the sights. Also, where you are heading it probably pretty touristy and things will be well marked. Also the locals are used to tourists and will speak English....not to mention the average European are at the very least bilingual.

unless there's a major bucket list item where I'm travelling, I mostly like to wander around, avoiding the obvious tourist traps and ignoring most things that can be found in the US.

port visits when I was in the navy, before handheld GPS, we just walked out of the shipyard, picked a direction and went. had some great times

one of my favorites was Riga, Latvia, shortly after their independence from Soviet Russia. ours was the first US warship to visit in 60 years and we wore our uniforms on liberty. almost immediately we were greeted by a Latvian-American who was visiting the country he was born in for only the 2nd time since his family fled the Soviets in 1944. we got a tour of the city you would not believe. GPS can't do that

Back