first time kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjack2

Reaction score
Hello!
I will be kegging for the first time and had a few questions.
1) It seems like the two most popular methods are either cranking the tank to 30 for 1-2 days then turning down to 10 before serving or setting it at the desired PSI and waiting 2 weeks. Is there any FLAVOR advantages to the set and wait method? I would love to save time but not at the cost of taste. In the past I have left it for 3 weeks in the primary and 3 weeks in the bottle. 3 weeks in the primary and 2 days in the keg seems a little quick. thoughts?

2) I have seen videos of folks keeping the CO2 tank outside the fridge and running a line through a hole. If I have the space, can I keep the tank, regulator and keg in the fridge? Will this damage anything?

Thanks so much. This forum is such a huge help for beginning brewers like myself.
Ben

Idk bout the flavor from experience. I did my first kegging last weekend. I did 30 psi for 24 hrs and set to 12 psi indefinatly. Seems great to me. Picked up carb for couple days and seems to be leveling out now. I keep my tank and stuff in keezer no problems but I believe your regulator reads a dif psi for your tank when refridgerated. Just a newb so I may be wrong

I carb by setting it to 30psi for a couple days and then setting it to serving pressure (10-12psi). It's usually dead on by about day 7.

I have the tank in freezer too.

I usually keep the pressure around 10 PSI. It takes a week or two to carb, but so what?

Plus, all my kegs are on the same regulator, so if I raise the pressure, all the kegs will be too high. If you're really in a rush, shake the keg and it will carb a lot faster.

I keep the tank in the fridge because I didn't want to drill through the walls. The only downside is that the regulator will show the tank pressure much lower that it really is.

I keep the tank in the fridge because I didn't want to drill through the walls. The only downside is that the regulator will show the tank pressure much lower that it really is.

This isn't true. The liquid CO2's vapor pressure (inside the tank) is strongly dependent on temperature, and the regulator gauge will read this pressure. Regardless of whether the tank is inside or outside the fridge, the only way to know how much CO2 is left in the tank is to weigh it. The tank pressure will start to drop once all the liquid CO2 is depleted, and you're just using the remaining vapor. I believe this happens around 10% of the rated fill of the tank.

There are pros and cons of keeping the cylinder in or out of the kegerator. IMO the only real advantage is that the diaphragm in the regulator will respond a bit quicker. But that's not a big deal. My tank is in the fridge. I'm sure others can add their preferences to this list.

Outside kegerator:

Pros: Can potentially use a bigger tank, you can see/adjust the gauges easier, regulator responds quicker in warmer temps, not taking up space in the keezer

Cons: You need to drill a hole to pass the CO2 line through, and having the tank external can make the system look "less clean" if you just have the tank hanging out. Of course many people will mount it or otherwise hide it.

Inside kegerator:

Pros: Can make your kegerator look a lot cleaner, no drilling or mounting required.

Cons: Takes up keg space, maybe you have to use a smaller cylinder to get it to fit, you have to open the keezer to adjust pressure, regulator can respond slower and creep up a couple PSI the first day or two

I have plenty of room in my keezer, and I'm not constantly fiddling with the pressure. So I have no problem putting my 10 pounder inside.

Think the only flavor difference you're going to get is what you would get from giving it an extra week or 2 to mature anyway, i.e. less green beer. Otherwise, haven't notice any differences between burst carbing or just letting it ride at serving pressure until it gets where it needs to be.

This isn't true. The liquid CO2's vapor pressure (inside the tank) is strongly dependent on temperature, and the regulator gauge will read this pressure.

You are correct. I made an misleading statement. :eek:

The pressure actually does go down in the fridge and the gauge simply reports it.

Back