Hops Cones Images

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igloo

Reaction score
Hello!.

Can't seem to get to the right thread yet. I'm sure there is. Would you please point me to a Hops Cones specific thread dedicated only to display close up pictures of single cones of a given variety at its best?. If there isn't, would you like to share your best hop cone pictures with in this thread?.

I'm courious to see how each variety's cones out there look like. Many will be growing same varieties and would expect they look alike, but it would be interesting also to see if there is slight or big difference when grown at different geographical locations, techniques, soil, weather, etc...

It could also serve to help others identify varieties from around the world. Or to see how those not-so-common easy-to-find variety's cones look like. Or to relate and compare genetics. Or just to see which one has better looking cones structures for ornamental/decorative purposes.

I am first year grower, apoligies for not having a single cone picture yet to share. I will post for sure in future.

Could you please include variety name, location, age and any other info you would like to add, to the picture?.

Thanks!.

The best set of pictures I know of are at the American Hop Museum website http://www.americanhopmuseum.org/varieties.htm. Start with that, though they don't give scale so its hard to notice that perle should be the smallest, mt hood is mid sized, etc.

This would be cool but very ambitious. On top of that, its been my observation that size and other aspects vary a lot with the care provided by the grower, not just geographic location. Plus the fact that people tend to only take a picture of the biggest and the best.

That said, I'll go through my pictures and see what I can find.

The best set of pictures I know of are at the American Hop Museum website http://www.americanhopmuseum.org/varieties.htm. Start with that, though they don't give scale so its hard to notice that perle should be the smallest, mt hood is mid sized, etc.

This would be cool but very ambitious. On top of that, its been my observation that size and other aspects vary a lot with the care provided by the grower, not just geographic location. Plus the fact that people tend to only take a picture of the biggest and the best.

That said, I'll go through my pictures and see what I can find.

This, just like humans, hops can be pumped full of "steroids" like high Potassium fertilizers when flowering and create much larger buds than normal.

So you cant really base it off size, and a lot of varieties look identical as well. Its a neat idea, but i dont think its really feasible. Maybe to a super trained eye they could tell the difference. Its like asking someone without tasting it to tell you what variety of strawberry you have...they all more or less look identical and come in all shapes and sizes within a variety depending on how well they were maintained.

ill bite.. Cascade, Southern California, (1st yr ~ 82 days), no additives (fertilizers pesticides herbicides etc.)

9016749479_298ded13b1_c.jpg

ill bite.. Cascade, Southern California, (1st yr ~ 82 days), no additives (fertilizers pesticides herbicides etc.)

9016749479_298ded13b1_c.jpg

Thank you GVH_Dan for the link, that is the kind of pictures i was looking for. And i can see difference in those cones in museum. Not necessarilly technical aspects but rather sensorial. And you are absolutely right about size. Good suggestion would be to place a well known sized object next to the cones (a coin maybe) to have idea of the size.

And thank you FuzzeWuzze for your input. Funny you've mentioned strawberries. I happen to also have my first strawberry plant an all the berries look so different!.

I am sorry, I didn't want to sound too ambicious when i created this thread. The main idea is to have a espace for close up pictures of hops cones from homegrowers around the world, with some little extra background information which who knows whom may serve and help to better appreciate it. I see many posts in the photo section about beer, glasses, equipment, etc. well i think hop cones are just as important and interesting to see. After all is the cone the final product of every grower's hard work!. Lol . Maybe this thread should be moved to the photo section?.

NCSDhops, that's the spirit!!! Thank you very much!!!. Excellent picture!. Ineresting to know you haven't user any additives. Those look ver happy and healthy. I've heard cascades are amongst the hops with better looking cone structure.

Thank you all.

Back