Should I stir secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naturallight16oz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I racked a turbodog clone on top of a pound of peanut butter powder and some cocoa nibs. the peanutbutter seems to be packed at the bottom of the carboy, should i gently stir it up every few days or is it ok as it is?

I'd avoid it. Good chance you might ruin or really hinder what could have been a good beer

If you stir it be sure to be gentle and to sanitize well. I wouldn't stir more than once or twice - stirring will increase the time for beer to clear.

Depending how long its been in secondary. Give it a taste. If it does not have the desired flavor. Add to it. Be sanitary and do not make any bubbles

It depends. You don't want to aerate fermented beer. It will cause stale flavors or possibly the dreaded 'wet cardboard'. If the carboy doesn't have a ton of headspace, you can somewhat safely assume it's filled with co2 released from the beer when you racked over. If that's the case, gently swirling to try and rouse the peanut butter powder (odd choice) should be fine.

Back