Should my beer look like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khkman22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made the AHS Anniversary Blonde extract brew today and it was the first time I used Whirfloc tablets. Is that what it is supposed to look like, or did something go wrong? It just looks like a lot to settle in just the sample I used to take the gravity reading. If this is normal, how much should this affect the final volume once everything settles out during fermentation?

image-188213780.jpg

Whirlfloc scared the he knout of me the first time I used it. Thought I had a real mess on my hands. But like most things, all worked out. As fermentation took place everything settled out just fine.

I freaked out the first time I used a whirlfloc tablet, but made for some nice clear beer. Also made it easier to siphon from carboy because the sediment seemed to be more tightly packed and didn't get disturbed as easy.

For Original Gravity readings, nothing goes away, just settles. So the slightest knock or bump and you've got break floating around (and eventually settling) again.

Looks normal to me.

I use whirlfloc as well and really like it. I give the wort 15 min to settle (after whirlpooling) before cracking open the ball valve to drain into the 6.5g bucket.

I shoot for getting 5.5g into the bucket, leaving about 2-3 quarts of mostly sediment behind in the kettle. After ferment is done, I cold crash 3-5 days and then rack 5 gallons of nice clear beer into a keg or bottling bucket. The trub left in the bucket is usually pretty compact. I do pay careful attention not to disturb it when moving the fermenter bucket before racking.

I *hope* that's what it should look like 'cause that's what mine looks like!

mine looks like that too, especially at the bottom of the brew pot.

Back