Lager Still Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wruwtrix

Reaction score
I brewed a (Midwest extract kit) Oktoberfest lager a few weeks ago and transferred it to secondary last night after 48 hours of diactyl rest at room temp. I noticed quite a bit of suspended yeast as I was transferring. now that it's in the secondary carboy, I'm getting a ton of bubbling at room temp still. Also noticed quite a bit of yeast settled out. should I wait for fermentation to slow down, move it to basement temp, or move it to lagering temp? should I move it into another carboy because of the yeast at the bottom? I appreciate anyhelp, first time lagering. Thanks!

It is 85% through fermentation. Reading into it elsewhere, as long as the brew is over around 75% through fermentation (OG-Grav@racking/OG-FG), it should be good to lower into lagering temp. I should have read the gravity before I racked it, but didn't, figuring it had been in primary for longer than planned. Tastes good so far, hah! Am going to slowly lower the temp instead of crashing it and see how i turns out (in you know, several months).

It is 85% through fermentation. Reading into it elsewhere, as long as the brew is over around 75% through fermentation (OG-Grav@racking/OG-FG), it should be good to lower into lagering temp. I should have read the gravity before I racked it, but didn't, figuring it had been in primary for longer than planned. Tastes good so far, hah! Am going to slowly lower the temp instead of crashing it and see how i turns out (in you know, several months).

If you didn't read the gravity how do you know its 85% through fermentation? don't lower to lagering temp til FG is reached. wherever you got that other info is bad. you move to diacetyl rest @75% not lager

Latest posts

Back