Herb/tea ball for dryhopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boswell

Reaction score
I've searched and searched with a lot of people asking, but never found anyone who actually reviewed one, I have love the hoppy stuff, this would be perfect in the boil for APA's, or keg hopping. How about this thing? It says its 5"x4", That's pretty big considering:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X4LGIO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

41TJkdB9rbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and all stainless for $9. Seems legit, I know we've all got different ways of skinning cats, this one seems cool and reusable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a tea ball. It's not really that big, though, and only holds about 1/2 ounce of leaf hops. So I need more than one for dryhopping in the keg. I've never used it in the boil- it's way too small for me.

Yooper, that's what I'm saying, I love the idea of something stainless I could use in the boil/bucket, and this thing seems HUGE, maybe fitting3-4 oz saturated hops? (guestimating) Would work perfect for those Pliny clones where you're dryhopping in charges, and removing to use different hops.

USF I'd have to measure, not sure off the top of my head.

If you do buy it, definitely post back to review it. I'd be interested in buying one as well, but am concerned that it won't fit in the corny.

We posted at the same time, that does look more likely to fit into the corny.

Yeah, it's mesh so you could 'mold' it with a little elbow grease too. I may get a few in different sizes, carboys vs buckets too. I like being about to take it out, clean sanitize, add different/more hops for dryhopping too, like in the aforementioned Pliny clone where the dryhopping is in charges to be removed/replaced

I use 5 of those, I have 4 of the really big size and one of the outrageously huge size (like 5"). They're great in the boil, you can either toss them in or hang them on the side. I like them because I can use them to keep the hops in the most vigorous part of the boil (have to do stovetop).

Through a little trial and error you'll figure out how much pellets you can put in there without them compacting into a tight ball. I try not to add more than an ounce and a half to each of the very big size but I prefer an ounce.

The issue in the boil would be that you want the hops "loose", so you can't really pack it in. Even the bigger one shouldn't fit more than an ounce, I'd guess.

Through a little trial and error you'll figure out how much pellets you can put in there without them compacting into a tight ball. I try not to add more than an ounce and a half to each of the very big size but I prefer an ounce.
this!!! when i keg hop i only fill it about a third with pellet hops because of expansion.. i used 4 on my last IPA about a year ago.. the ones i use are from wallyworld and have a little clasp holding it together:mug:

I use one for dry hopping with pellets. Works well in a bucket as a secondary. I imagine if you are using leaf hops it would be a pretty big fail. For the boil I don't see a need. I just don't worry about a little hop mass making it into my fermenter.

I too use one, 3 inches in diameter, for dry hopping in kegs using pellets. It allows the hops to influence the beer without leaving a ton of sediment behind. I can fit roughly 2oz of pellets into it too! Got mine at the local tea shop for about $5. Works amazing!

Just thought I would share, just got this in the mail. I'll report back once is been used, but this should give you an idea of the size. looks like it would fit 3-5 ozs, or use leaf as well. This is going to be used in primary, in a bucket after gravity has stabilized. It's stainless, and built pretty sturdy. The top locks onto the bottom really well minimizing the risk of coming apart.

6540004221_b15904598b_b.jpg

Just checking my saved threads, never reported back on this. I've used it for both dryhopping and in the boil, both scenarios worked great. I like it for the boil for smaller beers. I use a carabiner (sp?) to hook it onto my kettle's handle. To add to it, I use bar towels to twist it open when it's hot, add hops, return it to the boil.

Back