"Black" IPA - what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d3track

Are you sure about that?
Reaction score
Ok, for starters, this recipe intent is to use up some malt and hops that I have leftover.

This is my first try at a recipe with lots of hops (for me).

I really appreciate your input!

Partial Mash - 3 gallons
1.083OG 1.022FG, 94.1 IBU

3# Maris Otter
2# 2 Row
1# Flaked Oats
.5# Black Malt
2# light DME

.5oz Columbus FWH
1oz Willamette 60 mins
.75 oz Chinook 15 mins
1oz Willamette 5 mins
.5oz Columbus 0 min
2.25oz Chinook Dry Hop

Yeast: Safale US-05

Since this is my second recipe, all input is appreciated

I also didn't get any feedback on my Black IPA recipe I put up here a few days ago, but I'll oblige you. :)

1.083 is fairly high for a black IPA, IMHO. It might end up being a little on the sweet side. BIPAs are typically a little on the dry side. You could cut back on the DME to get it down.

How did you calculate the FG? S-05 should attenuate more that what your OG and FG calculate to. At the average attenuation for S-05, this beer should finish at 1.015.

I think the Maris Otter might result in a little bit of breadiness that isn't typical of a BIPA. Not saying that's bad, just an observation. Since these are leftover ingredients, it is what it is.

This beer isn't going to end up too "black". If it were me, I'd go to my LHBS (looks like Northern Brewer is an option for you) and pick up 6-8 oz of Midnight Wheat and add that.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way an expert on these matters. Just giving my opinions. I think the beer will be perfectly fine if you make is just as your original recipe shows.

What recipe builder are you using? As long as it comes out to at least 30 SRM it will be black in color.

I would personally shoot for 100 ibu's. The extra maltiness from the grain bill will make this taste less bitter than a standard IPA with a 1:1 (BU:GU) ratio.

Chinook should be good in a black IPA!

My black IPA is a huge tasting beer...one is all you need to feel like you've had a couple and mine was only 1.074 OG, 1.015 FG.

Thanks everyone - I used hopville's calculator for everything, srm @ 35
I may cut back on the DME, but I wanted to try something a touch higher in abv, although this may not be the time for it.

I'm excited to try Maris otter, I have actually never used it before, but some of the customers at northern were loving it, they were using the extract though.

Is your black malt debittered? Typically in a black IPA the dark malt is used just to impart color and a very slight flavor, but not to give much actual roasted taste. I'd be very careful of overdoing that, or you may wind up with more of a hoppy stout.

Also, it's probably an especially good idea not to put the black malt in the mash, since the high temperatures tend to extract harshness (same principle with cold brewing coffee). Cold steeping it is best, especially for this recipe. You can leave it in about a quart of your brewing water at room temperature overnight. Put that liquid in during the last 5-10 minutes of the boil (which sterilizes it). This will give color without too much tanins/acidity/harshness.

I brewed a black IPA yesterday. Here's the recipe I used

Size: 5 gal
Color: 45.9 SRM
Bitterness: 42.6 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.071 (17.1° P)

11 lbs 7.4 oz - Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM)
1 lbs 0.2 oz - Blackprinz (500.0 SRM)
12.0 oz - Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM)
8.5 oz - Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) (80.0 SRM)
8.5 oz - Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM)
6.3 oz - Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (320.0 SRM)
4.2 oz - Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (120.0 SRM)
1 lbs 1.6 oz - Rice Extract Syrup (7.0 SRM)
2.0 oz - Cascade [6.5%] - Boil 60 min
1.0 oz - Columbus [15.0%] - Boil 5 min
1.0 oz - Chinook [14.2%] - Boil 0 min
1.0 oz - Columbus [15.0%] - Boil 0 min
1.0 oz - Chinook [14.2%] - Dry Hop 3-7 days

The recipe mostly can from BYO october 2012; IPA 2.0 Black IPA but was modified for what my local store had in stock.

I used blackprinz for color without flavor/tannin.
The recipe call for Rice extract for more ABV without malty taste.
In the recipe, it's said that for more bitterness, the wort should be whirpooled for the last 5 minutes of boil.

I took 2-3 sip from the wort and it tasted good. FYI, i didn't used the rice extract because I crushed 13# instead of 5.25kg. My FG was 1.080.

According to Sierra Nevada brewmaster (I read it in the book For the love of hops ...), dry hopping is best made when the yeast is still active so the oxygen input doesn't hurt the beer. Also, dry-hopped beer tast better when yeast is active. I can confirm that my last bast was dry-hop 3 days after I started the fermentation (for 5 day) and it smelled really good.

Anyway back to your recipe ...
I would use 5# Marris otter instead of 3 MO+ 2 2R. I used only MO for base malt on many recipe without trouble or off-flavor.
As in my recipe, the top 4 recipe of Beersmith uses some caramel malt in their Black IPA. Approx. 1lbs to 1lbs 8oz per 5gal batch size.
Also be certain that your water profile is suitable for black beer.
You could also use carafa (I, II or III) for intensified color and aroma

Though, sometime simpler is better, so your recipe is looking fine.

Tasting day!
This turned out fantastic - smooth and easy to drink were comments.

I actually am thinking of doing this one again soon it turned out so good.

If anyone gives it a try - please let me know how it turns out for you.

Back