Noob brewer from the UK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hailey

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just a quick hello from the south east of the UK. Starting brewing after watching craigtube.... Bothe parents brewed wine and beer when I was young so have find memories if the kit. Started a coopers kit and a Riesling wine for myself. We have just put the coopers bitter in the barrel and put the wine in the secondary fermenter to clear.
We have now got a cider (from store bought apple juice) a red and also an elderflower wine. The beer that is on now is the wood forded head cracker and my word it's gonna be strong..... Thanks for reading...

Would also like to know whether a barrel is better than bottles? Going to use both as I don't think the hubby will like drinking the head cracker all night!

Welcome to the group and the hobby.

Barrel ageing depends on the beer and on the barrel. New Bourbon barrels add huge flavor, and older barrel or wine barrel less so after a number of uses.

I love barrel aged beers, some don't. Best of luck!

Welcome to the group and the hobby.

Barrel ageing depends on the beer and on the barrel. New Bourbon barrels add huge flavor, and older barrel or wine barrel less so after a number of uses.

I love barrel aged beers, some don't. Best of luck!

Don't think the OP meant aging in a wood barrel, was probably refering to one of these, for serving beer. Those Brits do things a bit differently.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Brew-Balliihoo%C2%AE-Temperature-Indicator/dp/B001QMRRHA

Last edited by a moderator:
dzlater said:
Don't think the OP meant aging in a wood barrel, was probably refering to one of these, for serving beer. Those Brits do things a bit differently.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Brew-Balliihoo%C2%AE-Temperature-Indicator/dp/B001QMRRHA

Alas it is only a plastic barrel... I bought it as a trial to see whether it would be any good. My father always used them with the co2 canister... We are going to bottle the headcracker and the woodfordes admiral reserve into bottles too... I can't wait to taste these home brew ales and wines ..... 😝

Last edited by a moderator:
Back