Difficulty hitting the right mash temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlazaroff

Reaction score
Good day,

I have had a recent problem with hitting my mash temp correctly, it's always too high. Here is my process.
-I use a converted cooler as a mash tun.
-I heat up my mash water to a boil and pour my mash water into the cooler. I let it sit closed for about 15 minutes to stabilize and to pre-heat the cooler.
-I then open the mash tun and stir the water and let it cool to my dough-in temperature, 179 degrees F according to my software.
-I dough-in at 179 and find that the mixture of grain has only brought the mash to 169 degrees, not 153 which was my target mash temp.
-I add ice until the mash stabilizes at my target mash temp.

Is my brewing software (brew alchemy) just wrong with my dough-in temperature, or am I doing something wrong? This is chemistry, shouldn't this change not be so drastic?

boiling may be heating the cooler to much, no need for boiling water.
179 seems high for strike water unless its a large grainbill and its been stored cold.

I skip the preheating. My last brew I mashed with 7 gals of 165 water into my cooler. After 16 lbs of grain it settled at the 150 I was shooting for. Basically dont rely on your software and just get to know your equipment

My method isn't much different than yours. I always preheat, but I don't use boiling water. I heat my strike water up to around 170. I pour it in my cooler MLT and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I open and stir down to my target strike temp and then add the grains. With my system and with preheating, I've found that I only lose 9-10 degrees by adding the grain. So if my mash temp is 150, then I stir my strike water until its 159-160. Now this varies from the brewing app I use, but since I know my system, I know not to pay attention to that part from the brewing app.
179 seems way too high for strike temp, so I would say that the problem is your brewing software. That is unless you're grain is stored cold right before doughing in. Maybe there's a setting that's off. If there is a setting for grain temperature, check there. It might be set lower than what your grain's actual temperature is.

yeah for 5 gal batch I usually heat my strike water to about 4-5 degrees above desired temp(around 170) into an unheated mash tun close lid and wait 10-15 min.Usually settles in around 165.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Brewday is over, and i have been doing some calculations based on other batches too and it looks like I loose about 10 degrees at strike temp, so I'll just go with that. :)

Loosing only 10F is pretty low. If you mash at 1.5 quarts per pound, then a drop of like 13-15 degrees is probably a little more typical. At any rate, this is an iterative process. You'll have it figured out within another batch or two.

And like others said, boiling water is overkill. 170-175F should be all you need. And boiling water may actually be pretty bad for the plastic in the cooler.

Back