My first all brett beer Victory Hellios

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
So in my continuing search for strange new worlds, To seek out new life and new civilizations, To boldly go where no man has gone before...

Opps scratch that... wrong subject: instead:

...my continuing search for strange new beers, To seek out new flavors and new ingredeants, To boldly drink where no man has drank before...

I went off in search of all all "brett" beer and the commercial example I found in my area was Victory's Hellios.

Wow... Talk about something "completely different"...

It comes in 22 oz bomber and though I liked the beer it would probably be best that I split the other bottle with someone. A bit over powering.

The whole goal of course was to figure out if I liked the taste a BRETT and I can say I do and I think that I will use it in a future brew in the secondary for a Aged/Stale English IPA I plan to brew and age for 6 months.

I got the idea from reading Mitch Steele's "IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale "

The plan is to brew a 6.5% IPA with 70-ish IBUs and let it age out... I am not trying to make an American IPA which should be consumed young but an old style English IPA that has time to develop some complexity...

Question: does anyone know if there is any active yesat in my bottle of Hellios?

from: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/06/harvesting-sour-beer-bottle-dregs.html

In case anyone is wondering about Victory Helios Andrew passed on an email he got from Victory that confirmed currently while Brett is used to ferment it, the cells are filtered out before bottling.

"Yes, we are putting Brettanomyces into Helios. We did, however, have to change the process in-house due to the yeast over-carbonating the bottles! This over-carbonation also resulted in the bottles having much more Brettanomyces character than we originally intended for the beer. Now, Helios receives an incubation time with Brettanomyces in the fermentor. After the beer passes our tasting panel for the brand, the Brett is filtered out of Helios and then we bottle condition. We use our traditional bottle conditioning strain to carbonate the bottle. You should find subtle characteristics of Brett present in the Helios aroma in flavor, but it will not be as intense as you may have experienced in the past."

Thanks for the info... I have met these guys but they would not know me if they saw me...

but if that is "subtle characteristics of Brett" I had an off bottle...

Subtle is not the word I would use...

The over carbination is interesting...

Makes me wonder if I brew my IPA as planned and I keg it, if I can just skip the Priming Suger... from the book I read this may be possible...

Makes me wonder if I brew my IPA as planned and I keg it, if I can just skip the Priming Sugar... from the book I read this may be possible...

I would plan on it. Brett will chew through pretty much everything, given enough time. So if you keg it at an "FG" of 1.010 you're looking at .006-.010 gravity points of further fermentation. But I'd let the keg set at room temp for a few weeks to let the Brett eat the sugars & prime the beer.

I need this beer, I tried it for the first time last year and my local store had the 22 oz bombers, for 4.50 a piece. I sat for a second, just bought one (theres no way a 4 dollar 22 oz beer can be good).

I went back and bought 10 more the next day. I think it's definitely in my top 10 of beers (this takes into considerationg the "wow, thats only 4 dollars" measurement). After I get a few more all grain batches under my belt this is definitely something I want to try cloning (until it comes back to the place that carries them, havent seen them in awhile since I guess bottles were bombing).

I need this beer, I tried it for the first time last year and my local store had the 22 oz bombers, for 4.50 a piece. I sat for a second, just bought one (theres no way a 4 dollar 22 oz beer can be good).

I went back and bought 10 more the next day. I think it's definitely in my top 10 of beers (this takes into considerationg the "wow, thats only 4 dollars" measurement). After I get a few more all grain batches under my belt this is definitely something I want to try cloning (until it comes back to the place that carries them, havent seen them in awhile since I guess bottles were bombing).

That is about what it cost me... I did not even look at the price since I was on a beer adventure... Later I looked and it suprised me also...

Back