What's your favorite hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyobrewer1

Reaction score
Just curious on if you had to choose only one hop to brew with, what would it be? I gotta say that I love centennial. Love the lemony flavor you can get from it.

Just one hop? How about one bittering hop, one flavor hop, one aroma hop and one dry hop? That would be easier. If that's the case, I like warrior, citra, amarillo and cascade. Of course, that all depends on style of beer.

Hmmmm...couldn't live without Styrian Golding or Saaz for the Belgians but I love big ass American hop flavor. Thank the brewing gods we don't have to make that choice. Until the zombiepocalypse.

My son is my favorite kid, lol. Simcoe or centenial would both be good choices, as well as Columbus if you had to choose only one.

Galaxy. Super tropical potent hop.

I have only had that in an Australian IPA kit, was good, but kits suck. They do not get that at my lhbs, I would need to order it. Is it good in anything besides ipa & pale ales? What about a saison?

No way I could choose just one. I have various hops that I like for certain styles. but there's no one hop I could choose for all. German & Czech hops for my hybrid lagers. American & New Zealand hops for pale ales,IPA's. Tradditional English hops for UK style bitters & the like.

Only one? Saaz. It isn't my favorite, strictly speaking, but its versatile. I'd rather have an IPA or an APA made with Saaz than a Belgian or a Lager with American c-hops.

meltroha said:
I have only had that in an Australian IPA kit, was good, but kits suck. They do not get that at my lhbs, I would need to order it. Is it good in anything besides ipa & pale ales? What about a saison?

Sorry, no info other than I love them in ipa's, ambers and blondes..
It would be interesting in a saison tho..
Igotsand

Sorry, no info other than I love them in ipa's, ambers and blondes..
It would be interesting in a saison tho..
Igotsand

I actually thought of that add I was writing my reply, it does sound good! Time to start planning

I recently got some Nugget as it was recommended somewhere as an increasingly popular all around hop. Has anyone here tried using it that way?

Hmmmm..... one hop only???? That would probably also mean I was limited on what I could brew if I only had one...... So...... It would be a battle between Sazz and Hallertau. Hallertau would give me most of my german lagers - oktoberfest, helles, dortmunder....not as good as sazz for pilsner though... Could probably brew a British Mild as well, as well as some other low hopped browns. Sazz would probably be better for "hoppy" beers though - could probably use for oktoberfest, helles and dortmunder. Great for pils. Would work in ambers, and maybe even IPA's....

I would have to choose German Sazz I think. German Hallertau second.

Braufessor said:
Hmmmm..... one hop only???? That would probably also mean I was limited on what I could brew if I only had one...... So...... It would be a battle between Sazz and Hallertau. Hallertau would give me most of my german lagers - oktoberfest, helles, dortmunder....not as good as sazz for pilsner though... Could probably brew a British Mild as well, as well as some other low hopped browns. Sazz would probably be better for "hoppy" beers though - could probably use for oktoberfest, helles and dortmunder. Great for pils. Would work in ambers, and maybe even IPA's....

I would have to choose German Sazz I think. German Hallertau second.

That's the type of thinking I was originally looking for. Taking all things into consideration (i.e. alpha acid, flavor, aroma etc) what would you choose.

That's the type of thinking I was originally looking for. Taking all things into consideration (i.e. alpha acid, flavor, aroma etc) what would you choose.

Then Simcoe, Centennial and Columbus are probably the best choices on the American side.

If I had to only pick one???? difficult. I have really grown to like Sterling. Centennial would probably be my second choice.

EKG. I'd be happy drinking bitter the rest of my life no question. 2nd choice Columbus. My favorite IPA to date was all Columbus.

Back