Earl Grey vs English Breakfast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scobysurfer

Reaction score
I'm ready to start my second batch and so I picked up a couple of black teas at the supermarket. Are either Earl Grey and English Breakfast fine for brewing booch?

I believe the Early Grey has both a stronger flavor profile and is more caffeinated than the English Breakfast. The packaging on the Earl Grey does say that it is combined "with citrus notes of bergamot" if that matters at all..

I also wanted to know if people ever mix black and green teas?

Don't use teas with with bergamot. Too much can kill the culture.

I mix black & green teas all the time, but never reduce black tea below 50% per general recommendations on the internet. Your Mileage May Vary.

I also mix black and green teas often. As far as the 50% rule goes, I've been using plain green tea for more than 20 years without problem. Don't use Earl Grey however, or any other flavored tea. It contains oil of bergamot, and essential oils of any kind can interfere with the metabolism of the pellicle. Herbal teas should be avoided too, with the exception of yerba mate and, I've read, rooibos.

Back