How long to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
So I did a secondary planting of some Rhizomes about 2+ weeks ago. I planted 2 per pot in some good soil/compost/sand mix. They have received ample (if not too much) water due to our wet spring we've had. So far not a single one of them has started to sprout. Should I dig into them and see if they are starting at all?

I wouldnt, its unlikely that two rhizomes in each pot would be DOA.

I made the same mistake getting antsy, and i dug super carefully around my rhizome. Only to accidentally barely brush a bine i didnt see that was maybe half an inch from breaking through, and it snapped off at the rhizome. I was cursing myself for days on that stupid move. I just buried it and within another week 3 other bines broke through.

I'd leave them to their own devices.

To this point: what are you going to change based on your findings? If they show no signs of life you could stop watering and save a few cents in water costs. Is that worth the risk of breaking off the fragile sprouts just because you're impatient?

Back