Brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llgriffin

Reaction score
What kinda volume for a typical 5 gallon partial mash brew needs to boil on stove? Just wondering what size of pot I'm gonna need??

Extract - a 20 qt from the grocery store works. Full boils - a 30 qt turkey fryer setup is minimum. For 5 gallon batches, and fewer boil overs, I use a 10 gallon pot to start with about 7 gallons to account for boil off on a propane burner. I still have to watch it carefully at the start of the boil.

Check your stove, before buying a new pot. Find the biggest pot you can borrow or somehow find, and fill it up with water. If you can boil a big volume of water, then measure it and see how much you can boil. Most people find that their stove just can't boil 6 gallons of wort, or sometimes even 4. Or 3.

A bigger pot won't help you if your stove can't do the job, so before investing in a new pot find out how much your stove is capable of.

I have a professional gas range, with one burner than could boil 6.25+ gallons of wort. Most electric stoves can't do that, but some can.

I agree with Yooper. My pot is big enough to straddle 2 gas burners and boil over 7 gallons. Getting a full pot on the stove is another issue though.

Sounds like going with a propane burner is probably the best option then. I'm not sure if ill do full boils but its nice to have the option.

I got a couple of large aftermarket burners for my electric stove off amazon. The link is in my profile. I mash 5-6lbs of grains in 2 gallons of water,sparging with 1.5 gallons. This gives 3.5 gallons boil volume,whic I can get to a boil now in about 18 minutes. It also allows for 1/2 gallon boil off over the course of the 1 hour boil. I've been doing PB/PM BIAB in my 5 gallon (20qt) ss stock pot & it works great.

Back