Strange looking fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
Hey folks,

A week ago brew day went great, (I am making a "Cream of Three Crops") I have kept ambient temps around 70-73 for the past weeks and today I checked my FG to find it at 1.010. Sounds good so far!

But the bucket I fermented in looks odd. It's a solid surface and the trub never dropped to the bottom. I had to punch through it to test the gravity.

Corn, rice and 2-row. Any thoughts?

image-2410962952.jpg

image-1731419718.jpg

The first picture is right when I opened it. The second was after trying to mix a touch to break it up.

unionrdr said:
Some yeasts make keausens like that. Other times,it happens that way. Shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks man. I thought it was ok but had just never seen one quite like that. That was US-05 which I have used twice before.

Thanks for the reassurance!

It probably would have dropped later,but you just helped it out. Maybe not though,that does look thick. I wonder if its from the extra proteins from corn/rice-giving that.It looks fine though. Any reason your keeping it at high ambient temps?

jonmohno said:
It probably would have dropped later,but you just helped it out. Maybe not though,that does look thick. I wonder if its from the extra proteins from corn/rice-giving that.It looks fine though. Any reason your keeping it at high ambient temps?

Thank you:). I don't have temperature control yet, working on it. That's how high we keep my house temps. I haven't had a problem with it... Yet.

Back