steep to convert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manisfive

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm doing a brewers best wit kit this Saturday. The kit includes a .5 lbs of flaked wheat, .5 lbs of oats and a pound of 2 row(I think). It has a steep to convert step for these grains. I've never done a partial mash so I'm a little nervous. From searching on here I came up with a few threads debating whether this was a partial mash or not. I have to holds the grains in a gallon of water for 45 min at like 150°. Does anybody have any advice about working with oats and wheat of this sort? There is a sparge step at the end. How much, if any fermentables do think I will see from this? Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Kind of like a BIAB mash step which can get ~80% efficiency so I'd expect you to get ~1.1# of extract from those 2lbs of grain if done correctly.

The trick is holding mash temp for the 1 hour mash. I wrap mine in an old winter hunting coat that has thinsulate & synthetic goose down stuff in the liner. Works great at holding the temp steady. I mash 5-6lbs of grains in 2G of water,sparging with 1.5 gallons @ 165-168F. This gives me 3.5G boil volume.
Since you're mashing 2lbs in 1 gallon water,you could sparge with another gallon,giving 2 gallon boil volume.

Nothing to be nervous about. Its basically a giant tea bag that you keep at a certain temp, then pull out. You can run some additional water through the bag. Put it in a collander and run sparge water through it.

I wouldnt worry about the level of fermentable it creates, Im sure the recipe came with the right amount of DME or LME to go with whatever the grains put out.

I normally do late extract additions because I'm lucky to get anything over two gallons to boil on my stove. The recipe calls for the lme first and the dme at flame out. I think I might switch it (for color) but I'm nervous about over hop utilization. I don't want a hoppy wit. I know with out the full recipe to look at I can't get much feed back about this, seeing as how I don't what the two hop additions actually are. I'm at work. Thanks for the advice.

I'd def switch to the DME in the boil. It doesn't darken as readilly as LME. So the color will be lighter,& the flavor cleaner.

I normally do late extract additions because I'm lucky to get anything over two gallons to boil on my stove. The recipe calls for the lme first and the dme at flame out. I think I might switch it (for color) but I'm nervous about over hop utilization. I don't want a hoppy wit. I know with out the full recipe to look at I can't get much feed back about this, seeing as how I don't what the two hop additions actually are. I'm at work. Thanks for the advice.

I think you'll be fine. It won't be hoppy, and it won't be too bitter with a 2 gallon boil.

I have a glass thermometer that came with my starter kit. Should I use that to monitor the temp or buy something else?

What is the concern about the glass thermometer, accuracy or appropriateness? Personally due the risk of breakage and the resulting contamination, I would use a dial style thermometer with the long metal probe and the dial on top. But if you're very careful not to break it, the glass thermometer will work.

My concern is breakage for the glass. My concern on using a meat thermometer is accuracy.

What is the concern about the glass thermometer, accuracy or appropriateness? Personally due the risk of breakage and the resulting contamination, I would use a dial style thermometer with the long metal probe and the dial on top. But if you're very careful not to break it, the glass thermometer will work.

My concern is breakage for the glass. My concern on using a meat thermometer is accuracy.

I spray my floating thermometer with starsan,then use a few twist ties to lash it to the BK/MT handle inside the paint strainer bag for the mash. no worries about breakage,as I use a plastic 24" paddle. This way,I can put the lid on it while mashing,wrapped up in my winter hunting coat. I gave up on meat & quick check kitchen thermometers. They're not accurate.
So I use the flaoter in my mash,the dial style thermometer in my sparge water kettle. This way,I can do/measure both at once. It takes about 45 minutes to heat sparge water to the right temp without doing it too fast.

Back