Skunk during the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had this thought when I started my boil 15 minutes ago in the freaking hot sun. Since skunking is UV + Hops, is it possible to skunk your beer during the boil? Or is there too much going on already and there being a lower temperature for the skunk to show up?

Your title lead to a couple of smelly thoughts before I read it. Like-- Why would you boil a skunk in your wort?

I have never heard of any concerns regarding sun during brewing maybe others will have more info.

I was also envisioning a skunk joining you on brew day. I had a snake join me once and an otter during another brew session.

Sorry, I get a little zenlike when I brew and since I am feeling the need to put on some sunblock I wonder if my beer needs it too. I mean a 60 minute boil plus the time it takes to cool or come up to temp is a long time to expose it to sunlight. And I remember someone saying you can witness a beer skunking if drinking it outdoors...

Deep thoughts by Drunkle Jon.

No worries. Skunking happens as a reaction between light and products of fermented, hopped wort. So basically, pre-fermentation, you don't need to worry. During and after is a different story. Of course, if you add a skunk to your boil, it's a moot point. ;)

If it bothers you why not rig up a tarp, sheet or piece of plywood to block the sun?

some beer Professor said:
The photochemical reaction that skunks beer occurs very quickly; a well-hopped beer in clear glass can become noticeably offensive with just 30 seconds of exposure to sunshine.

Perhaps the boiling and the large volume of the kettle inhibits the skunk?

If you add sunblock to your wort I wouldn't use anything above SPF-15!

Do you realize how hard it is to find 15 anymore? All I ever find are 2, 45, 50, 3000, and White Exterior Latex Paint. I may be a daywalking ginger, but 15 is what I use, its enough for me to get some color but not remain as white as Powder. grumble grumble, rant over.

Do you have a source for this?

http://www.popsci.com/science/artic...ou-should-never-drink-beer-clear-glass-bottle

From quoted page said:
The bittering agent generated from hops while boiling beer wort is a compound called isohumulone. Ultraviolet light can degrade isohumulone all by itself. But it turns out that visible light can also induce isohumulone degradation -- it just needs a helper molecule, in the form of riboflavin. Once the proverbial ball starts rolling (or, in this case, the electrons start hopping), a series of reactions take place that eventually produce the compound 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol. That mouthful, known colloquially as 3-MBT, is your skunk. In fact, 3-MBT is chemically very similar to one of the three main compounds found in a skunk's defense spray.

The amount of riboflavin in malt is minimal, though it is present. It's mainly produced during yeast growth stages, if memory serves. Once that's in the wort in sufficient quantity, you run the risk of the reaction described above.

It seems like a decent enough source to me. Let me know if you want me to find something more authoritative, or something that speaks to riboflavin levels at different points during, or before, fermentation.

Here is a bit more technical reading for those inclined. Yale U Press, so it should be authoritative. It also goes into why Tetra-hydroisoalpha-acid hopped beers (some macros have gone this way to achieve light stability) generally do not skunk. Well, in theory, they can, but it would take a long, long time to get to that point.

I don't really see how the question is answered since it says light skunks beer in about 10 min because of a hop compound. The hop compound doesn't come from fermentation... inferring that during the boil a beer technically can be skunked...

I don't really see how the question is answered since it says light skunks beer in about 10 min because of a hop compound. The hop compound doesn't come from fermentation... inferring that during the boil a beer technically can be skunked...

Read post #13 again. Certain hops compounds + Riboflavin + certain lights (350-500nm is the most aggressive) = skunk compounds. Riboflavin is a product of some stage of yeast growth. I don't know which one(s).

I'm really glad I came upon this thread. I had always assumed I couldn't brew outside and have always brewed in my garage as my back porch (where I would rather brew) allows sunlight to hit my boil kettle most of the time. Now I am free to brew where there is wind and lawn chairs!

I'm really glad I came upon this thread. I had always assumed I couldn't brew outside and have always brewed in my garage as my back porch (where I would rather brew) allows sunlight to hit my boil kettle most of the time. Now I am free to brew where there is wind and lawn chairs!

Hey at least you worried before you did it. I have brewed outdoors under the kinda sun for my past several batches. I just today mid boil started wondering why it didn't skunk my wort, and if I should keep my hop additions out of the sun, and if maybe all my beer is already skunky and I just think it is good because I made it.

DrunkleJon said:
Do you realize how hard it is to find 15 anymore? All I ever find are 2, 45, 50, 3000, and White Exterior Latex Paint. I may be a daywalking ginger, but 15 is what I use, its enough for me to get some color but not remain as white as Powder. grumble grumble, rant over.

Ha!

And the beer still tastes great. Science!

Also, it's been a really looong time since someone contracted every into er'ry.

And still doesn't manage to save one keystroke of typing. I can't wait until a reverse text-speak comes into fashion where words are longer than typing them out properly would be.

Back