Yeast Starter - Am I doing it right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to brew my first batch of anything in almost 15 years, and it seems I've completely forgotten everything I used to know.

I have a few garbage bags of apples and was going to turn them into cider. It's very wet where I live and I'm concerned about bacteria, so I thought I'd start the yeast off early to try and get a quick ferment going on my apples. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right...

My plan was to just take a wine or water bottle and fashion an airlock to it, then throw some sugar, water, and yeast nutrient in it and pitch the yeast for about 24 - 48 hours while the Camden tablets do their thing in the apple juice. Then add the yeast starter to the cider once it's cooking.

Is this too crude of a method for a yeast starter or is there anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks for any advice anyone might have.

Just try and keep your Original Gravity of the starter below 1.040. Too much sugar and it will start to stress the yeast. I'd aim for 1.020 - 1.030 if possible. It will give the population time to multiply in a stress free environment.

Just try and keep your Original Gravity of the starter below 1.040. Too much sugar and it will start to stress the yeast. I'd aim for 1.020 - 1.030 if possible. It will give the population time to multiply in a stress free environment.

Hmmmm I have a couple of Batches that I pitched some Notty mixed with a starter (water suguar nutrient), but dont have any activity 48hrs in. Could I have stress my yeast? How do yeast get stressed? How do I relax them? Im quite stressed out right now myself, could that be affecting my yeasts?!!

Hmmmm I have a couple of Batches that I pitched some Notty mixed with a starter (water suguar nutrient), but dont have any activity 48hrs in. Could I have stress my yeast? How do yeast get stressed? How do I relax them? Im quite stressed out right now myself, could that be affecting my yeasts?!!

Haha...easy there partner! You do seem a bit stressed. ;) 48 hours isn't too bad. I don't think you need to help your yeast relax. I'm by no means a scientist, but I think the idea is to get them to reproduce like rabbits, but not put so much pressure on them that it thins the gene pool. More like hanging out by the pool at Heff's mansion. Give them a beer, but not endless shots of jeagermeister.

Back