Can i plant a few rhizomes in one large pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Is it possible to plant a few rhizomes in a half barrel? The rhizomes I got we're pretty weak looking and I'm got several varieties going so running low on space for now

You shouldn't. Rhizomes of the same varietal should be planted 2-3 feet apart. Rhizomes of different varietals should be planted 5 ft apart. Planting multiple rhizomes in a half wine barrel will give you one huge mangled mess of hops all competing for nutrients and sun. Not to mention getting them apart and telling the difference between the hops would be next to impossible.

I watched a video from a guy who grows hops for a living. He planted 3 rhizomes in the same hole and said, "you could plant as many as you want together."

I watched a video from a guy who grows hops for a living. He planted 3 rhizomes in the same hole and said, "you could plant as many as you want together."

Of the same variety I imagine.

Edit: I'm sure this can be done but I imagine you'd sacrifice some quality. Remember that each Rhzome is its own plant which means each one will be competing for nutrients in the soil. They're not going to magically fuse together and become one single plant. IMO I would rather have plants spaced apart properly and get potential max yield from each plant.

Go get a few cheap $5 plastic pots to get them in the ground until you figure out what to do with them. That's what I did with my 4.

Back