Putting the pieces together.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT's AZ Ale Haus

Reaction score
I am putting all the puzzle pieces together.
I bought a 32qt steam pot with (elevated false bottom), to use as my mash tun. I I'm going to do a BIAB and I am going to use my burner to maintain temp, I figured the bottom steam rack would keep the mash off of the bottom of the pot so I could do direct heat and not scorch my bag/mash. What is everybody's opinion?
Please feel free to give me all the advice you can..

TYIA

Michael

Here is the steam pot
10827023.jpeg

There are some online calculators that can get your strike water temps fairly close, based on water volume, amount and temp of grain, etc. After a few brews, you'll get to the point where you will come very close to your target mash-in temps each time. You shouldn't need to use the burner very much to bump the mash temp. Stir well at mash-in and use a good thermometer. If you do bump the temp with the burner, stir and wait a few minutes to measure temp, as heat conduction into the mash will continue a little while after you shut off the burner. The temps can creep up on you if you're not watching closely.

Back