Pump House Ales.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadpencil

Reaction score
Everyone here has a story and this one is mine.

This is a combination of all my diy projects in one thread. Don't ask the cost because I don't want to make myself cry. :mug:

I started brewing four years ago and knew it was the hobby for me. I wanted a dedicated space so I started rebuilding the pump house. I live in the country and my well is in its own building.

My brewery is a 24 x 12 outbuilding. It was empty except for some scrap lumber and the well pump in the basement.
I ripped out the broken concrete floor and poured a new slab inside and out.
i-Lx5KRHG-M.jpg

i-T5bHgqf-M.jpg

i-F2C4PsQ-M.jpg

Somehow I managed to lose some photos. The cats were kind enough to give their seal of approval on our concrete pour.
i-8w9ppZS-M.jpg

I insulated the walls, wrapped them in plastic and sheeted them in 1/2 OSB. The brewing half was then covered in FRP.
The only power to the building was a 20 amp circuit for the pump and a light. This wasn't going to work at all. I trenched in a 100 amp service line from the barn just to run the brewery part. I wanted to keep the well circuit separate.
I scored an old PTAC unit from work for temperature controls.
i-zH5vXQw-M.jpg

I built an exhaust hood from some duct work and a 640cfm fan I got off craigslist.
I got a 48 x 16 x 8 piece of trunkline and some end caps to build a hood.
i-MSQZXCc-M.jpg

i-jZnBd87-M.jpg

i-PjBNTtn-M.jpg

i-ndt7438-M.jpg

Next update will be the control panel and fermentation/storage chamber

My first control panel was small with a single PID that I would switch between the boil kettle and hot liquor tank. I wanted my next panel to be able to run everything independently.
I found a large stainless enclosure on craigslist. It was used for tower lighting controls. Everything was still inside, I salvaged the fuse holders and some terminal strips.
i-FChpLdx-M.jpg

i-K46vqhL-M.jpg

I started with the door for the panel. I played around with my vinyl cutter software to make the layout, and then cut a template.
i-g6bB44r-M.jpg

i-6QdDtnv-M.jpg

i-Kxw3dK6-M.jpg

For all the PID's and timer I chose Auber since almost everyone has had good luck with them.
I chose the JSL-73B Brewery Timer, 2 DSPR120 EZboils for the Boil Kettle and HLT. I had a SYL-2352 PID from my original build. I am using this to monitor the mash temp and run the recirculation pump. I know that there is mixed opinions on doing it that way.

I removed the back plate from the panel and flipped it over since it had the wiring schematic printed on it.
i-R48QbLZ-M.jpg

I used two SSR's for everything, one leg controlled by the Auber's and the other by a switch. A key switch turns on the main power source. The 24vdc controls all the manual switches. I did not use any heat sinks on the SSR's because they are mounted to a 1/4 inch thick piece of aluminum and there is a cooling fan that runs all the time.
i-z7wL3fn-M.jpg

Back