Pump GPH and Back Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bm1981

Reaction score
Guys,

Former aquarium / fish geek recently turned home brewer I came across several examples of the DIY carboy washer and I see some pretty large pumps pumps 1/3 and 1/4 HP for pushing 1/2 PVC. Unless for keg cleaning you need pressure aren't those big sump pumps way over kill? I just pulled out a 500GPH pump stepped down to 3/8 hose barb and it had no problem shooting a stream from the sink to the ceiling :(. So moving to a rigid 1/2 tube 2-3 feet long I should have more than enough pressure to move 350 real GPH into a carboy.

Are these big pumps shooting a pressurized stream that really gets the gunk off or is the cleaning action from the constant flow of water within the carboy.

Or are the the big pumps a matter of easy availability and bigger is better. I'd imagine that the back pressure created by the sprinkler head / sprayer negates much of the stated GPH.

lastly, anyone concerned with using a non food grade pump to clean the brewing equipment? I have a used aquarium pump and I'm debating disassemble and cleaning followed by bleaching / PBW / star san to make sure its super clean and sanitized

It's the combination of the flow, pressure, and temp that most are seeking with these pumps.

And I wouldn't be concerned with a non-food grade pump.........The Harbor Freight sump pumps sometimes used are not food grade.

Do a "dry run" with just the cleaner and no equipment, and you should be good to go.

Next concern: will the aquarium pump live under the temp and chemical assault?

You need some heat in there, to get some good solubility of the cleaning solutions, and to help soften and release the crud within!

At least for me, my pump was purchased based on a bottle washer with essentially 24 individual streams coming from a 1" manifold. I have no idea how to calculate pressure or flow across a system like that, and couldn't find an easy calculation on the net, so I just erred on the side of caution with a 1/3HP pump. The other big concern is operational temps...most of these are used with hot cleaning solution, so that rules out a number of common pumps out there.

I'm only mildly concerned about food safe for cleaning aspects, as everything will be thoroughly rinsed. Now, if I were using a pump to circulate Starsan for sanitation purposes without a rinse, I would only consider food safe.

I think technically you're correct, but buying more than you need often allows it's use in future things that you never thought of. Buy once, cry once as I like to say.

Back