PSA for all apartment brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinbrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m living in an apartment right now and only have an electric stovetop to boil my beer. I bought a really nice 7.5 gallon kettle since I’m brewing 5 gallon batches. During my first brew, it took HOURS to get my beer to a decent boil, and even then it wasn’t a rolling boil.

I decided to use a roll of Reflectix double insulation from my local hardware store to insulate my kettle (set me back about $8, but I only used half the roll). It was very easy to make a sleeve for the kettle, leaving an inch or so off the bottom so the plastic on the inside doesn’t burn.

A few people on the forum told me it might not work, as most of the heat is escaping from the top of the kettle. Where this is partially true, my boil time decreased dramatically and I was able to hold a solid boil for my entire 70 minutes.

If you’re boiling using an electric stovetop like myself and don’t want to split your batch, give this a try! It’s cheap and effective!

Brew on my friends!

Back