Prost from Portland!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers, my name is Tim and I have been homebrewing seriously for just over a year. I brewed at a couple brew-it-yourself places in the late 90's, and was amazed at the quality of the beer and the fun of brewing, bottling, labeling and sharing my brew. I've had the bug to brew again, but other pastimes (wife, fishing, surfing) kept taking priority and I did not start brewing at home until my wife bought me a "deluxe brewing kit for Christmas 06.

Having a baby in the house, the other activities were out the window...I had to stay home. So homebrewing filled the void, and I love it. I have done 27 5 gal. batches in the last 14 months, and recently stepped up to All-Grain. I am also planting hops in my backyard. I'd love to join a local homebrew club, but family and work obligations are currently not lining up with meetings, so I brew when the family is asleep and dream about my next great beer.
:mug:

Tim

Yeah I am in Portland, Oregon (not Maine!) a.k.a."Beervana". So far my best beers have been a sorta Laurelwood Space Stout clone that I formulated based on the menu description. It has been a huge hit with everyone who has tried it. I call it "Pass Stout" to keep with the pun of its inspiration. It actually does not really taste like Space Stout...but its great. Others that have been great are a Copper Ale (BYO recipe), Black Butte clone, Blonde Ale and my first lager...a doppelbock. Currently I just finished a beer that I brewed almost as a joke, a Premium American Lager that is actually really good. I have a Lagunitas IPA clone in the secondary dry hopping. My only real failures were two batches that went bad do to brewer error: I bough One Step thinking it was a cleanser AND sanitizer....DUH! Needless to say these brews were infected immediately and I went back to my Iodophor bath.

Thanks for the invite to the brew day at the end of March! I will see if the planets align and I can get there.

Tim:cool:

Are you a shrubber?

Welcome to HBT. I would like to attempt your Black Butte clone sometime if you feel like sharing the recipe. It was the first beer that I ever liked and got me into micro's.

Hope to see you around and hope you can attend our upcoming group brew day.

Hey Joker, thanks for the welcome!

Not sure what a shrubber is... supporter of Bush?

Black Butte Clone:

6 oz. American victory 25 L
8 oz. American crystal 50 L
8 oz. American chocolate 350 L
4 oz. British black patent 525 L
6 oz. Honey Malt 25L
9 lb. American 2-row

0.75 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
0.62 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Tettnanger (aroma)

Wyeast 1056 -American Ale
OG: 1.056 FG: 1.014

TimBrewz said:
Hey Joker, thanks for the welcome!

Not sure what a shrubber is... supporter of Bush?

Apparently I lost my mind yesterday. :drunk:

Thanks for the recipe, it will be the first clone I attempt.

If you are making a Monty Python reference....then yes, I like the Holy Grail....if its our president....let's just say I'm looking forward to the next election!

Yeah it was a Monty reference alas Roger is the Shrubber. I not a fan of bush in any form not on women or in the government.

Hello all:

I am in Portland, Oregon, and am actually working on a project that I need to take photographs of old home brewing equipment. The more used looking the better! Anyone able to help me out???

Tim;

Welcome! Sounds like we're on the same page...I have two kids and generally only brew after everyone's in bed.

Doesn't sound like you'll have many questions, but if you do, you'll find the answers here.

Back