How many bottles to harvest yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcmeyer

Reaction score
I have an IPA in bottles with Wyeast American Ale II 1272 in it. I want to harvest it for a recipe that I am doing soon. This is my first time harvesting from a bottle (well really harvesting at all). The process seems simple enough, but I was curious of how many bottles I should harvest from? Also, is there any way to know how much yeast I have? Either from the initial bottle yeast or after I step it up? Thanks!

I've harvested from one can/bottle with great success, but if you have a few bottles you can cut down time by harvesting from multiples. Essentially I just kept building slowly with low gravity wort until I got a measurable amount of yeast that I could then use for calculating cell count.

I successfully harvested yeast from 3 bottles of commercial craft beer. I stepped up a small starter up to a 2 liter one. Fermentation started a couple hours later and I ended up with an awesome beer. I actually used the same yeast cake for the 4th time today.

However, from what I've read, you should use 5 or 6. But it worked very well with 3 for me.

Go for it, it is a really easy thing to do, but be really careful about sanitation !

Cheers !

I've used as much as 12 bottles before. The more you use the more yeast you get with less growth needed. If I'm doing that and drinking the beer as I go along, I spray sanitizer on the neck/lip of the bottle, re-cap them with sanitized FRESH caps and store in the fridge til I get as many as I plan on using. Then I sanitize the cap on each, uncap them, flame the lip of the bottle, and spray with sanitizer before decanting the yeast.

I've used as much as 12 bottles before. The more you use the more yeast you get with less growth needed. If I'm doing that and drinking the beer as I go along, I spray sanitizer on the neck/lip of the bottle, re-cap them with sanitized FRESH caps and store in the fridge til I get as many as I plan on using. Then I sanitize the cap on each, uncap them, flame the lip of the bottle, and spray with sanitizer before decanting the yeast.

That's a good idea.

I'm harvesting Conan from Heady Topper this week. Since it comes in a can I'm cleaning the can with multiple star san dipped paper towels, then spraying the can with star san after that. Then I dump the dregs in to a sanitized mason jar. I've got about 5 cans worth right now. Last time I harvested Conan it was from one can, and I've made three 5 gallon batches with that harvest. That's just from building starters and splitting them off, as I no longer wash yeast from my fermenters.

I successfully harvested from a single bottle but had to do a three step starter to get a good cell count. Luck does also play a little bit of a role as far as the viability of yeast in the bottles used. the more bottles, the better the odds and better cell counts.

That sounds like a great idea, thanks! I'll just have to do a lot of drinking which I think I can handle! :mug:

Anyone know how I can figure out how much yeast I have? Do you guys just have a general idea from experience and estimate it? Or is there a way to measure it? Thanks again for the help!

I personally calculate with 1.2 billion cells per ml of yeast slurry. So according to that if you have a jar that has slurry up to the 200ml line then you have about 240 billion cells.

I have an IPA in bottles with Wyeast American Ale II 1272 in it. I want to harvest it for a recipe that I am doing soon. This is my first time harvesting from a bottle (well really harvesting at all). The process seems simple enough, but I was curious of how many bottles I should harvest from? Also, is there any way to know how much yeast I have? Either from the initial bottle yeast or after I step it up? Thanks!

I am currently doing a harvest at the moment from one stubby (375ml).
Poured the dregs (bottom inch) into 100ml starter (1.037) on stir plate. Took off like a Saturn V.
It is now settling out before next step up. I estimate I have 12bn cells at this time (using Kai's stir-plate setting in Yeastcalc).
I plan next step to be 1L starter.
Like you I am curious as to how many cells are estimated to be in this size commercial beer bottle.
coopersyeastreculture.jpg

Back