What is this? See picture!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brew

Reaction score
Well looks like I may have my 1st off batch :(

Have a look guys..tell me what you think...it's in ALL bottles...

Left the airlock of for a couple of days while bottling.

Can anything be done to save or with this?

What harm can be done from drinking this?

Any help is appreciated!

image-3888181850.jpg

image-1925568275.jpg

Please note, I did use a old yeast cake...could that have anything to do with it?

Whats it smell like? Looks like Brett a little form that picture.
If it tastes bad and smells bad it probably is bad...LOL

Cheers
Jay

If it is infection you might want to chill those ASAP or put them in. Container that won't matter if they explode in. If its infected you will have gushers best case scenario. Worst case.....well there are plenty bottle bomb threads to give you an idea.
I'd place the bottles in a Rubbermaid container with lid or a cooler. Fridge would probably be best to slow down the growth as much as possible.

Definitely an infection. No harm in drinking it. If you enjoy funky, Brett beers.

Also, make sure you keep your bottles away from the light if you're going to use clear glass.

Ok I will put them in my beer fridge now.
Thanks guys :)

I don't mind a lambic so will be interesting :)

I like clear bottles so I can see my beer but I keep mine in complete darkness.

Left the airlock of for a couple of days while bottling.

This part of your post confuses me the most. How long did it take you to bottle? Is this a typo? But if it were a couple of days, why leave the airlock off?

It looks like a Brett infection. If it were my beer, rather than waiting for bottle bombs I'd pour them--carefully to reduce aeration--back into a fermenter and see where the Brett takes it. Rebottle later.

cluckk said:
This part of your post confuses me the most. How long did it take you to bottle? Is this a typo? But if it were a couple of days, why leave the airlock off?

It looks like a Brett infection. If it were my beer, rather than waiting for bottle bombs I'd pour them--carefully to reduce aeration--back into a fermenter and see where the Brett takes it. Rebottle later.

Yeah well I was doin 2 brews at once..decided to blend a few in the bottle to see the result...the blended ones look fine...no white stuff on top..
Took me a few more days maybe a week to get round to bottling the rest..that's when I noticed..I left the airlock off..Doh!

I'm going to cold crash them now, so will that stop them exploding? I've already had a bad case of bottle bombs and would hate to clean up again! That's the main reason I got my beer fridge..cold crashing

Thankfully it's only about 10 bottles as most of it went into the blends.

This actually happened to my second brew (recently). A number of my bottles were gushers and I've had one bottle bomb. I started a thread about the gushers a few days ago and the responses I got brought me to the conclusion that I bottled before it had fully fermented. These above responses are making me rethink that though. Everyone in this one seems to think infection. Ah well, it doesn't taste too bad. Just a bit bitter. Live and learn

Ok well, I took some advice and put some in the fridge...had no bottle bombs but did that to early..so it's flat and wasted..shame tasted ok!
The other I have let sit in the cupboard..it's black as black..can't see through it..very sour but interesting. I may do it again..but this time on purpose hahaha

Back