Temperature and other questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDFlow

Reaction score
Just planted my first rhizome in a planter on my southern facing balcony. It's currently between 40 and 60 degrees here in Seattle. Is that too cold for it to grow? Also, after reading more it sounds like you should plant 2 rhizomes the first year. Anyone have luck planting just one? Anyway my plan is to train them to grow horizontal on my balcony railing (about 15 ft wide) and train them the opposite direction if they get too long.

40 to 60 F is fine. We've had bines pushing up through snow in the past.

1 rhizome is fine...most of the time. the 2 rhizome is done by commercial farmers that want to guarantee that they won't have to come back to a spot and re-plant if one is a dud. Since the price of rhizomes has gone up, many do only 1.

Horizontally, the bine will grow but not produce, at least not to its fullest potential. You can find plenty of infor on that on this forum. If you can, grow up. If that's not an option, do what you can.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have any way to grow them upwards. Actually, I could go about 8 feet up to my balcony roof then across...Maybe I'll do that.

The best "trick" I've done is let it go up 8 feet, then physically drop it down and let it continue to grow up. I've done this with hops in planters before with moderate success. It still way underproduced but who cares. You'll still get a 1/2 pound dried.

Back