Cleaner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaviao

Reaction score
So I'm sure I should get better at searching the forum, but.... well ya know.

I'm getting close to bottling my first batch and the directions call for me to clean the fermenter with a cleaner with no scent... yeah.

So what cleaners should I use? Would I be fine to just rinse everything out and then hit it with some SanStar?

If I need a cleanser what can I get at the grocery store that will work? Sadly I'm not sure when I can get to my LHBS next.

Oxyclean Free (the kind with no scent) is perfect and I get it at the Dollar Store (the generic version). You don't want to use soap or anything that has a scent or residue.

As soon as I rack out of a carboy, I dump in a scoop of Oxyclean and fill the carboy all the way to the brim with warm water. I then cover the mouth with a little tin foil and leave it for a day. When I come back a day later, it's practically clean already. I couple minutes of scrubbing with a carboy brush, followed by a couple of rinses, and it's sparkling clean, ready for the next batch. :)

i use Oxiclean. I just put a scoop in and fill it about halfway up. I use a wash cloth and wipe down what I can. I have a bucket by the way. Don't use soap or anything with a scent b/c it'll leave a residue. Then on brew day I spray Star San on it, which sanitizes it, and then I pour my wort in it.

Oxyclean is the best! I use it to clean my keggle/carboys. I got a big box of it at home depot for like 12 bucks.

Cool. So I just need to make sure to get the unscented kind of oxyclean and I'm good right? Oh.... Do I need to sanitize with SanStar after I clean?

Cool. So I just need to make sure to get the unscented kind of oxyclean and I'm good right? Oh.... Do I need to sanitize with SanStar after I clean?

Yes, and yes.

Well, you don't have to sanitize after you clean- unless you are using that equipment right then. You want to clean anything that's dirty after using, but sanitize everything you're using right before using it.

I clean my gear right after using, so when it's bottling day again I usually just need an inspection and usually a quick rinse before I sanitize and use. If anything is dirty at all, it must be cleaned well, rinsed very well, and then sanitized for use.

I fill my carboy up the top with hot water and put a scoop of OxiClean in until I am ready to brew again. It cleans the carboy completely. On brew day, I put 2 gal of water and the proper amount of StarSan, swish it around, and voila! It is ready to go.

I fill my carboy up the top with hot water and put a scoop of OxiClean in until I am ready to brew again. It cleans the carboy completely. On brew day, I put 2 gal of water and the proper amount of StarSan, swish it around, and voila! It is ready to go.

Some people have problems with a slimy residue when leaving Oxyclean in the fermenter for long periods. I think it has to due with water chemistry.

I use 1/3 a scoop overnight. (plenty IMO - at least for my water)
I then rinse very well. For sanitation I spray Starsan into the fermenter and make sure all surfaces are well wetted.

Some people have problems with a slimy residue when leaving Oxyclean in the fermenter for long periods. I think it has to due with water chemistry.

I use 1/3 a scoop overnight. (plenty IMO - at least for my water)
I then rinse very well. For sanitation I spray Starsan into the fermenter and make sure all surfaces are well wetted.

Oh, I rinse it out thoroughly on brew day before sanitizing it. I know I left that out of my first reply. I take it outside and put the hose to it.

Oxyclean free and ivory dish soap are what I use. The dish soap for most stuff and the oxy for caked on carboys and kegs. I even use the ivory for my bucket fermenters since I can get into them to clean

I clean it and then rinse it out and not let it soak. Sure it still smells like beer but is that a bad thing? On brew dayor brew night as in tonight? I spray it down with star San ad then our the wort right on top of it.

I clean my gear right after using, so when it's bottling day again I usually just need an inspection and usually a quick rinse before I sanitize and use. If anything is dirty at all, it must be cleaned well, rinsed very well, and then sanitized for use.

+1 . . . That cleaning approach has worked well for me, too.

OxiClean Free is my favorite cleaner. But, I've also used "LA's Totally Awesome Oxygen Base Cleaner" sold at Dollar Tree. From batch to batch, the LA cleaner varies from completely unscented to a very mild, almost imperceptible scent that goes away once it's diluted in water. It retails for $1 per pound, so it's less expensive than OxiClean.

Latest posts

Back