Snapped a vine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canihaveurpants

Reaction score
So I was just out twisting my hop vines (3 per plant, only two plants) and my best vine on one of the plants snapped in half! I don't have a great setup where I live so I have the vines going vertical about 5 feet and then train them horizontally along a fence. This vine was the strongest and thickest of the plant highest along the fence.
My question is will that vine be able to repair itself or is it now as good as dead?
Thanks.

Here is a pic of the snap.

IMAG0517.jpg

Try not to worry about that big bine. They are referred to as "bull" bines, which are usually the largest and first emerging. They are hollow and easy to snap, later in the season. I read that in an article, that greatlakeshops.com posted on there very informative/helpful website, filled with documents and notes about growing hops. So, I think that your better off without it. New bines will come up to replace it. :mug:

Heres the link: https://www.facebook.com/GreatLakesHops?fref=ts# the post was made on May 3, 2013.

Wow, interesting. It snapped like a dry twig, I couldn't believe it. Well I've cut back all the other bines for that plant save for 2 others. I guess it'd be ok to just go with the 2 bines for that plant correct?

Its recommended that you keep all of your shoots, until there are a select few that are about 6-8ft. tall. Im learning all this new info myself, by researching your questions. I wish I would have researched this, before I cut my bines off... mine are just now emerging again.

Ahh yes I read somewhere to select 2 or 3 bines for each plant but didn't realize it wasn't necessarily the first 2 or 3. Thanks for your answers and the link, I'll try to do a bit more research myself.

sweetcell, interesting! hops are such a cool plant.

would it be fine then to just train those 2 new growths instead of waiting for a new shoot to grow up from ground level?

would it be fine then to just train those 2 new growths instead of waiting for a new shoot to grow up from ground level?

if you are low on bines, go ahead and train both. but if you don't need both, i'd consider keeping only one of the two new shoots. let them grow 6 or 8 inches, pick the strongest one, and snip the other.

another strategy is to cut back that bull vine completely, since it is prone to breaking again.

and to answer one of your original questions, the plant is definitely not dead. it will recoup just fine. a minor setback at best.

if you are low on bines, go ahead and train both. but if you don't need both, i'd consider keeping only one of the two new shoots. let them grow 6 or 8 inches, pick the strongest one, and snip the other.

another strategy is to cut back that bull vine completely, since it is prone to breaking again.

and to answer one of your original questions, the plant is definitely not dead. it will recoup just fine. a minor setback at best.

thanks again sweetcell! i will do just that.

Most of my second year plants have at least 5 bines that are over ten feet long with secondary bines growing. I also got a few flowers.

I wouldn't worry about one bine.

Finally found the picture. This happened a few years ago on a Nugget growing in a remote location. I must have hit it with a mower or something but as you can see, one of the secondary shoots will become dominant. You can just rip the small one off or let both grow. Easy as pie!

Broken tip.jpg

Try not to worry about that big bine. They are referred to as "bull" bines, which are usually the largest and first emerging. They are hollow and easy to snap, later in the season.[...]

This is a good tip, and those woody stemmed bines are pretty easy to pick out amongst the more supple shoots. Even though I cropped the first growth off all 15 of my crowns I still got a few of those woody shoots, and cut them off straight away. Within the week five new shoots contended for replacement duty...

Cheers!

Back