Indie Music Lovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Pinback album is as much like Pinback prime as the album m b v is like loveless... Except 20+ years didn't pass, just 5+. ;)

Seeing Pinback is still on my to-do list

Seeing Pinback is still on my to-do list

I saw them in February when they came through town. Definitely a great band to see. As good as their albums are, I think their live show is where they shine.

Saw them and Hot Water Music live, like, 4 days apart. So much awesomeness.

ICWiener said:
I saw them in February when they came through town. Definitely a great band to see. As good as their albums are, I think their live show is where they shine.

They are playing in Chicago in early September I think. I am not familiar with them but will check out their stuff based on so many rave reviews.

Glad I found this thread!

Three new albums I'm excited about:

Deerhunter - Monomania (one listen so far, so not much of an opinion yet, but I liked it)
Savages - Silence Yourself (lots of hype behind this one)
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City (hate the album name and not a huge fan of the band but there's a lot of positive buzz behind this record. Listening now).

Anyone listened to any of these/have any good new records that warrant a listen?

Just got the Vampire Weekend album too. It is a grower. I like the band, but this album seems a bit more experimental/playful than previous ones.

Another new album I am digging is Mikal Cronin's MCII. It's got a blend of Cass McCombs/Mazarin/Replacements going on. Very good. Check it out.

Here's some indie bands that I love. In no particular order. Except alphabetic, I guess.

*Deep breath*

American Analog Set

Nice!!!

AMANSET is one of my all time favorites! I even interviewed Kenny about 10 years ago at the Casbah when I was an aspiring music writer. Ha!

Ok, I am working my way backwards through this thread. Those of you who liked Page France should check out Cotton Jones. This is the band that Michael Nau and Whitney McGraw formed after Page disolved. Both of their full lengths are awesome: Paranoid Cocoon and Tall Hours in the Glowstream.

Other ones you should check out (some of these are older)
The Capstan Shafts- Euridice Proudhorn
Destroyer- love everything but Streethawk: A Seduction is one of my favs
Julian Lynch-everything
Kurt Vile- everything
Local Natives
Neil Halstead's newest one, Palindrome Hunches
Phospherescent- everything, but new one, Muchacho, is great. Also his Willie Nelson covers album, Willie, is insanely good.
Peaking Lights- dubby, tripped out stuff that is nice
Califone
Sin Ropas
Tallest Man on Earth
Ty segall
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Vetiver
Walkmen- newish album Heaven is real good
War on Drugs- Slave Ambient is fantastic, can't wait for something new
Morning Benders
Wye Oak
Richard Swift
Midlake- trials of van occupanther is a favorite

I tried to think of the stuff that I did not yet see on the pages I scanned so far. It is all good.

I could go on and on and on... Thanks for indulging me.

Not sure if they qualify as "indie," but The Dany Warhols:

Here's an artist you may not have heard of, but I've been grooving on his music lately, click on MUSIC to hear various tracks:
http://www.robmartino.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
AMANSET is one of my all time favorites! I even interviewed Kenny about 10 years ago at the Casbah when I was an aspiring music writer. Ha!

That's awesome. They're certainly up there on my favorites list as well. They seem like they would be a cool band to interview.

I've really enjoyed the Pinback and Page France I've checked out as a result of this threat, so thanks!

The Hangout Music Festival is streaming some good stuff this weekend here.

Looking forward to Grizzly Bear and The Shins this evening, Holy Ghost! tomorrow, and Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs and Stevie Wonder on Sunday.

Just got the Vampire Weekend album too. It is a grower. I like the band, but this album seems a bit more experimental/playful than previous ones.

Another new album I am digging is Mikal Cronin's MCII. It's got a blend of Cass McCombs/Mazarin/Replacements going on. Very good. Check it out.

Yes! Just discovered MCII the other day...it is exceptionally good...

Not sure if they qualify as "indie," but The Dany Warhols:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3m7Uz7hF-s

Here's an artist you may not have heard of, but I've been grooving on his music lately, click on MUSIC to hear various tracks:
http://www.robmartino.com/

Sorry for the double post but Thirteen Tales... is one of my favorite albums ever. Unfortunately I think this band kinda sucks now. I saw them live in Portland a year ago and their new material was pretty awful.

My buddy turned me onto William Elliot Whitmore, I've been listening for a couple days now and really liking him. I don't remember if he's been mentioned but he's worth checking out.

really digging MCII - thanks for the rec

Wow, I haven't heard about Hot Water Music in years. I had one CD when I was 21-ish, over 10 years ago.

Glad I found this thread!

Three new albums I'm excited about:

Deerhunter - Monomania (one listen so far, so not much of an opinion yet, but I liked it)
Savages - Silence Yourself (lots of hype behind this one)
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City (hate the album name and not a huge fan of the band but there's a lot of positive buzz behind this record. Listening now).

Anyone listened to any of these/have any good new records that warrant a listen?

I love Deerhunter so much- saw them about 3 years ago with Best Coast. I love the new album; it's a good direction for them to take now. Very 70's rock, and I love Bradford Cox's voice anyway but I am enjoying his "rocknroll" voice, so to speak. The third track sounds like a Lotus Plaza song- can definitely tell who wrote that one :)

My best friend keeps suggesting Savages to me, but I can't seem to get into them.

Oh and Mikal Cronin's new album is awesome and deliciously 90's!

Deer Tick, Modest Mouse, Atlas Genius, And So I Watch You From Afar, Explosions In The Sky, Marmalakes, Wild Child...also if you haven't heard of Shakey Graves, man...he's good!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Deerhunter so much- saw them about 3 years ago with Best Coast. I love the new album; it's a good direction for them to take now. Very 70's rock, and I love Bradford Cox's voice anyway but I am enjoying his "rocknroll" voice, so to speak. The third track sounds like a Lotus Plaza song- can definitely tell who wrote that one :)

My best friend keeps suggesting Savages to me, but I can't seem to get into them.

Oh and Mikal Cronin's new album is awesome and deliciously 90's!

Haha yeah it was so clear that Lockett wrote that song, his fingerprints are all over it!

MCII is really awesome, in fact I think I'm going to listen soon! Good stuff.

Saw the Futurebirds last night in Columbus. There was only about 30 people there at most! Got to hang out with some members of the band after the show which was pretty cool!

Here are a couple of songs from when they played Bonnaroo a couple of years ago:

[ame]http://youtu.be/Txs3ATc2JdM[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/GvTI7PII5x8[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/f2ZyHHYQPck[/ame]

They totally bring it live! Ski Chalet might just be my favorite song by them...

Deer Tick, Modest Mouse, Atlas Genius, And So I Watch You From Afar, Explosions In The Sky, Marmalakes, Wild Child...also if you haven't heard of Shakey Graves, man...he's good! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNsGJiVvmF0

I've been hearing this name for a while, but for some reason haven't checked them out until now and now I'm kicking myself. This is pretty great. Started with 'The Earth is Not a Dead Place' and now I'm on 'Take Care Take Care Take Care.' Wishing I was at home on the couch with a good pair of headphones.

I've been hearing this name for a while, but for some reason haven't checked them out until now and now I'm kicking myself. This is pretty great. Started with 'The Earth is Not a Dead Place' and now I'm on 'Take Care Take Care Take Care.' Wishing I was at home on the couch with a good pair of headphones.

I saw them live a few years back in a cemetery and was blown away - totally started a Post Rock kick for me

few others that are somewhat similar
Maserati
El Ten Eleven
Russian Circles (harder edge but badass)

I saw them live a few years back in a cemetery and was blown away - totally started a Post Rock kick for me

few others that are somewhat similar
Maserati
El Ten Eleven
Russian Circles (harder edge but badass)

Thanks for the recommendations...don't know any of those either. I've heard of Maserati but never checked them out.

If anyone enjoys festivals, Coachella pre-sale is this Friday. This is also the only chance to take advantage of the payment plan. Unless they change things, you'll have to put up with Heineken, Heineken Light and Newcastle, but it is still a fantastic time.

Explosions in the Sky and El Ten Eleven are both amazing.

You might also want to check out Mogwai and Godspeed You Black Emperor. They're a little more orchestral/noisy/intense, but still incredible. Mogwai was the loudest show I've ever been to in my life. They literally shook the place.

Explosions in the Sky and El Ten Eleven are both amazing.

You might also want to check out Mogwai and Godspeed You Black Emperor. They're a little more orchestral/noisy/intense, but still incredible. Mogwai was the loudest show I've ever been to in my life. They literally shook the place.

Seen explosions and mogwai, both very awesome shows. Would kill to see Godspeed :(

Anyone like beirut?

Seen explosions and mogwai, both very awesome shows. Would kill to see Godspeed :(

Anyone like beirut?

Godspeed are coming to the west coast in the late summer - hoping to catch them

i had forgotten they were releasing a new album last fall - just starting it now

Oh yeah...I know Mogwai well. I saw them a couple of years ago and it was indeed an extremely loud show, but still great. Godspeed was in Birmingham last October, but tickets sold out before I even heard about it and they never dropped below $100 on StubHub.

I love some Beirut. Would really love to see them live someday.

Anyone else feel overwhelmed? like there is an ENDLESS amount of fantastic music?:(

A great problem to have to be sure, but no less a problem.......

My PANDORA account has so many awesome artists that I never hear some of them.

i create lots of playlists on spotify. when i hear a new artist or someone gives me a rec I'll try to create the playlist as a reminder - i use spotify at work, home and in my car so gives me a good chance to check out lots of new stuff

i think you can find others to follow/check out playlists without being FB friends

search for:
spotify:user:terrapinj

i create lots of playlists on spotify. when i hear a new artist or someone gives me a rec I'll try to create the playlist as a reminder - i use spotify at work, home and in my car so gives me a good chance to check out lots of new stuff

Right on, but if I made a new playlist for every awesome new band, I would have millions of playlists and never listen to 1.

I listen to wfpk on the radio here, it is awesomely horrible because I hear at least 2 new life-changing songs a day on there.

Add that to this god blasted thread, and I am overwhelmed and forgetting awesome stuff!!!!!:rockin::confused::drunk:

Anyone else feel overwhelmed? like there is an ENDLESS amount of fantastic music?

Hell yeah. It's a great problem. That's why I get so annoyed when people say "Music sucks now, there's nothing good anymore." I feel like what they're actually saying is "I only listen to the radio and I have no idea where to find music on the internet."

There's is more great music being recorded and released now than there's ever been.

Anyone else feel overwhelmed? like there is an ENDLESS amount of fantastic music?:(

My PANDORA account has so many awesome artists that I never hear some of them.

Just getting through the artists I'm not familiar with from this thread is a daunting task in itself. Couple that with trying to stay on top of all the artists I already know and love and it does become rather overwhelming. What a great problem to have!

At least music is easier to get your hands on than beer. Being in Alabama means there is tons of stuff that is hard to get my hands on. I see so much mention of beer that I've never seen or heard of. I need to get in the trading game but with our limited selection I don't even know where to begin.

Just getting through the artists I'm not familiar with from this thread is a daunting task in itself. Couple that with trying to stay on top of all the artists I already know and love and it does become rather overwhelming. What a great problem to have!

At least music is easier to get your hands on than beer. Being in Alabama means there is tons of stuff that is hard to get my hands on. I see so much mention of beer that I've never seen or heard of. I need to get in the trading game but with our limited selection I don't even know where to begin.
:off:That does suck. I was on Gulf shores last year and found pretty good beers on tap and in bottle, but at high prices. Maybe you should open a craft beer store!

ICWiener said:
Hell yeah. It's a great problem. That's why I get so annoyed when people say "Music sucks now, there's nothing good anymore." I feel like what they're actually saying is "I only listen to the radio and I have no idea where to find music on the internet."

There's is more great music being recorded and released now than there's ever been.

Yeah, I hate that. Of course if you turn on Top 40 radio, you're going to hear a bunch of crap.

With satellite radio, YouTube, Pandora, and Spotify, there's really no excuse for not finding any music you like.

I've recently discovered The Decemberists (I am apparently late to the party on this one) and I just can't get enough, it is pretty much all I have listened to lately.

Hazards of Love is one of my favorite albums ever at this point...

Love those guys. Check out Colin's band Tarkio (if you haven't already). He's a damn genius in my book.

mariojr said:
Love those guys. Check out Colin's band Tarkio (if you haven't already). He's a damn genius in my book.

The Decemberists are one of my favorite bands! I had the good fortune to see them twice, once for Her Majesty the Decemberists and once for Picaresque. Some of the best shows ever!

Hazards of Love is an opus- you must really read the lyrics. I love mythology and it's an awesome story. The album verges on Styx sometimes, ha.

I highly recommend Castaways and Cutouts, along with the two albums mentioned above. Colin Meloy is the best singer/song writer of my generation in my most humblest of opinions.

I'm still not entirely familiar with Tarkio but I love the song Helena Won't Get Stoned.

Back