Insulating jacket for stainless kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with insulating their stainless pots? I use a 15 gallon stainless pot for my mash and tried some if this bubble wrap insulation from Home Depot. It melted up to about 6 inches from the bottom of the pot. I thought of cutting PVC in half and shielding the bottom but was wondering if anyone has any ideas. Thanks

I don't continuously apply heat to my mash tun. I shut it off and wrap it in towels and a wool blanket. I usually drop 3-4 degrees in a 75 min mash. Holds pretty steady for the first 20-30 mins. However, I was also wondering about good insulating options. It would be great to reduce that temp drop. I BIAB so it also becomes the boil kettle. Looking for a solution that is easy to put on and take off. Curious to see other replies.

I also use the bubble wrap from home depot, but with no problems. I cut it to fit, attached velcro to the ends and cut out spots for my valve, thermometer and sight gauge. I don't have it on with heat, but it can be put on quickly and removed nearly as fast.

I got a roll of automotive firewall insulation from JC Whitney. They also sell the adhesive that will stick it to the pot, and foil tape to wrap it on . I originally did this because our kitchen cooktop burner was taking too long to produce a boil in my 30 qt. SS kettle. It worked as intended, cut the boil time in half, and it's still in use, even though I've switched to AG and am using a Bayou Classic SP-10 burner. The insulation has held up fine, even with the much more powerful heat source.

You must be using propane? The bubble wrap doesn't' melt in an electric system, but if you want to use it with propane, you could try to fashion a heat deflector around the bottom of your pot so the excess heat from the burner is directed away from the wrap.

Anyone have pics of insulation on a mash tun that also gets used for boiling (aka BIAB)?

I'm going with the carbonized fiber blanket. I'll have enough to do my direct fire tun, as well as a few other items that need some heat shielding. ;)

I used the velvet shield for the first time. The temp held better. My only problem is that the fuzzies from the blanket get everywhere, hands, hot water tun, mash. They filter out but are annoying. Also, I tried adhesive Velcro, bad idea. It just rips through the blanket. If I were to use Velcro, I would see it in and away from the bottom because it melts and smokes. I just used bungee cords to hold it to the pots.

I still recommend it, just be careful.

I have an 100L electric kettle and use Uhaul blankets. They are cheap, washable and replaceable. I attach them with black rubber bungee cords. here is a pic:
http://www.londonbrewers.ca/blog

I find they work extremely well. have 2 wrapped around the base and I am going to buy 2 more, one to cut into circles to insulate the lid and another to just cover the whole unit

Back