First all grain in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSun

Reaction score
I have my first all grain recipe in the primary fermentor bucket. I was a bit worried because I pitched the yeast at and above normal temp of 82 bc it was late and I needed to sleep.(I don't have a wort chiller yet)

The krausen just showed up today which i was relieved to see. It's a nice bright white (not sure if color matters) and I'm wondering when I should transfer to the glass carboy for secondary fermentation. Right after the foam goes away or a 1-2 days after? Am I looking for a specific type of gravity?

The beer I'm making is a watermelon wheat ale. OG 1.048 which I nailed last night and a FG OF 1.012.

You should be fine, as long as it is less then 82° now, and within the temp range specified for yeast type? Why are you transferring to secondary? If you need to, you do this after primary is done, take a gravity reading when bubbling stops, check a day later, repeat till reading does not change, then rack to secondary, if necessary.

Transfer to secondary, if at all, after you hit FG (same gravity > 3 days). "Secondary" is really to clean up the beer or add fruit, hops, or to age it off the yeast. It is in many people's opinions unnecessary for most ales.

meltroha said:
You should be fine, as long as it is less then 82° now, and within the temp range specified for yeast type? Why are you transferring to secondary? If you need to, you do this after primary is done, take a gravity reading when bubbling stops, check a day later, repeat till reading does not change, then rack to secondary, if necessary.

The temp is in the low 70s now. I'm transferring because I'm adding watermelons juice for the flavoring. But ill be sure to take two readings back to back days when the foam goes away.

There's a shot through my air lock

image-3469429496.jpg

You should be fine, as long as it is less then 82° now

I wouldn't say "fine"... you will still make beer BUT the most crucial time for fermentation is the first 18 - 24 hours. This is the time where yeast are going to throw the most off flavors due to underpitching, under aeration, and high temps.

I wouldn't say "fine"... you will still make beer BUT the most crucial time for fermentation is the first 18 - 24 hours. This is the time where yeast are going to throw the most off flavors due to underpitching, under aeration, and high temps.

He didn't say 82° at 18-24 hours, he said he pitched at 82°, it would get at least to room temperature in 24 hours, even if he has no temperature control. 68°-70° will be fine for most ale strains, not ideal, but won't throw off flavors, especially in a fruit beer.

Temps down to 66-68 and krausen looks good..not sure how thick it is. Krausen day 1 and 2 pics attached. ( looking through the air lock)

image-2693723737.jpg

image-3104821302.jpg

Today is day 4 of my krausen being visible in primary fermentation. The temperature has been at 66-68 degrees, But has recently went up to 70-72 and the krausen is starting to break up. I'm wondering if the boost in temp did that to the krausen or if its in schedule for being done soon.

image-1872298008.jpg

After 4 days, it's just the violent fermentation phase that's complete. There's still a bit of fermentation going, but mostly the yeasties cleaning up after themselves for a bit.

I'd say you should leave it alone for a week and then transfer to secondary for flavoring.

It seems the temperature in my primary has been fluctuating about 8 degrees from 66-74. I don't have central air or any AC's in the windows yet. Is the temp going affect the beer in a negative way? What are the fermenting temps for wheats, ales, lagers, stouts? How am I supposed to keep a consistent temp for a cheap easy way?

Back