New to BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KReardon99

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to start biab for my next batch in a week or so.. I'm looking for an easy recipe to get started.. I saw Biermunchers centennial blonde ale.. Seems to get rave reviews. Any other suggestions? I want to start with a few simple recipes.. Get them down pat and then tweak them so that I can really learn how to brew a good beer. Thanks! Kurt

While the Centennial Blonde is a good choice, if I recall it is around 4% abv. I would go w/ something like Edworts Haus Ale at around 5% abv...reason being if your efficiency falls short you will still be in the ball park with a slighly larger grain bill, with a little more room for error.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

Or just do a SMASH. It doesn't get any more simple. 11 lbs Vienna and the hop of your choice.

Just did my first biab smash. My flavor is more maltier. I used 2 oz cascade with 2 row. Hopefully the hops come through better as it ages

My first BIAB was a simple hefe recipe. 6.6lbs wheat 4.4lbs pilsner mash at 154 for 60min add 1 oz of Hallertauer at start I boil.
And white labs 0300. Fermented at 68 degrees. Turned out great nice balance of Banana.

I have biab'd Beirmuncher's Centennial Blonde twice and have the ingredients to make it two more times. It is an excellent beer.

What kind of flavor do you get with a SMASH?

With malts like Vienna, Maris Otter, Golden Promise or Light Munich, a SMASH beer will give you a color/flavor like a blonde to pale ale. You want to make a hop choice to compliment the malt used. Yeast selection and ferment temp will also have more influence than with darker, more complex brews. Pale 2-row by itself may be a bit too plain for some.

never heard the term smash brew but its how i started brewing apparently. Buy grain, make a grain bill, mash it, boil and hop it, drink it and just know it wont suck if you follow proper practices. 20-30 batches in and i only threw out one, before i learned a pound of chocolate malt was a bad idea in 3 gal.

Thanks for the info.. I like the idea of doing things simple.. I really want to learn what ingredients give what flavors before I start doing more complex brews.

My first BIAB was a simple hefe recipe. 6.6lbs wheat 4.4lbs pilsner mash at 154 for 60min add 1 oz of Hallertauer at start I boil.
And white labs 0300. Fermented at 68 degrees. Turned out great nice balance of Banana.

Technically this is not a SmaSh. Which is Single malt and Single hop.

never heard the term smash brew but its how i started brewing apparently. Buy grain, make a grain bill, mash it, boil and hop it, drink it and just know it wont suck if you follow proper practices. 20-30 batches in and i only threw out one, before i learned a pound of chocolate malt was a bad idea in 3 gal.

This is also not SmaSh. Take a good malt add a single hop. Use a calculator for bitterness - flavor - aroma balance and go for it. A couple of my best were SmaSh recipes.

Back