level of co2 to cause bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzbey

Reaction score
Hello I bottled my hefe that I was trying to carbonate to 3.6 volumes for the style. I only ended up with about four and 3/4 gallons in my bottling bucket. So I carbonated to about 3.8 volumes. I would think this not enough to cause bombs but does anyone know the volume that will? I'm using your standard pop top bottle. And does anyone have an easier way of adding sugar after you have already got it into your bottling bucket? I usually rack on top of it.

Over 3 volumes is supposed to be a lot for a bottle to handle. Do you mean 2.8? 2.8 is super carbonated, so 3.8 would be a gusher id imagine.

I've heard some beers (ie Sam Adam's) use thinner glass for their bottles and are more likely to burst. I've bottled up to 3.3 in standard brown with no issues.

3.8 is not unhard of for some styles, such as a Belgian Golden Strong. However, that's really high. I've seen 4.0 often quoted as the breaking point, so I personally stay away from that level.

The general rule is to not go above 3 volumes in a standard glass bottle.

At 3.8 volumes you're looking at 50 psi if the bottles are held at 70 degrees F. If they get warmer, that'll go up a lot more. Quite a bit of pressure! I'd get them all in the fridge as soon as they're carbonated to minimize any danger, and next time I'd recommend using thicker walled bottles (like the ones German wheat beers come in) if you want to carb that high.

Over 3 volumes is supposed to be a lot for a bottle to handle. Do you mean 2.8? 2.8 is super carbonated, so 3.8 would be a gusher id imagine.

Ya the northern brewer pitching calc said to carb it to 3.6! I'm second guessing my self now and wishing I didn't drink so much when bottling it. Oh well it was meant to be a beer to drink up quick, it already tastes awesome so its time to throw a party! So getting it to 3.6 is probably good for kegging but not bottle conditioning? I'm gonna leave a couple out just to see if they explode or not.

Nah, 3.6 is appropriate for a hefe, it's just not safe to carb that high in a standard bottle. The 1/2 liter bottles that the German hefes come in are nice thick glass, for that reason.

Back