Spotted Cow Extract Clone Help / Challenge...Will Donate $25 to HomeBrewTalk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i noticed it isnt a verry active ferment on mine at least nothing like doing wine or other alcohols ive done before should i ferment with a brewbelt on it maybe to kick it in the butt and get it moving along?

i noticed it isnt a verry active ferment on mine at least nothing like doing wine or other alcohols ive done before should i ferment with a brewbelt on it maybe to kick it in the butt and get it moving along?

I would say that it really depends on what temp its at right now. Yeast don't appreciate abrupt changes in temp. And adding heat might just make it produce esters that you wouldn't want in the cow. Even if the airlock activity is slow, it doesn't necessarily indicate that it's fermenting slowly. If you're in the low 60's range, I would recommend that you just try to keep it steady.

I just kegged my batch a week ago after 10 days in the primary. I pitched my starter at 60 degrees and allowed it slowly rise to 64 during the period. It tastes really good, still cloudly as hell but its got that fruity cream ale flavor that I was shooting for. I'll post my recipe and some pictures with a side by side with the original cow in a couple more days. I feel like it always tastes best if it can sit in the keg for awhile after its carbed

:ban:100th Post!:tank:

i may get a trip to wisconsin soon from my aunt and uncle that are there still and this brew supply store here claims to be able do clone any beer you bring in so its worth a try buying some and for $150 they take care of the fermenting and bottling and all the ingredients you go in there and brew a 15 gal batch no mess to clean or anything not a bad deal id say

I like spotted cow fine, but I don't think I'd ever want 15 gallons of it. It's not the most flavorful beer out there and I think some of new glarus' other brews are better

X ...don't even transfer to a secondary. Since you are at terminal gravity let it sit a while to clear up then keg/bottle it

at 1.007 now you think ferment should be about done enough to transfer to secondary?

That's a really low gravity, are you checking it with a refractometer or hydrometer? I even pitched a boat load of yeast from a harvest, fermented warmer, and still stopped at 1.012 with my hydrometer. I've got two more weeks of bottle time and then we'll be able to see how it turned out.

ok here's what I did

04/19/2012

5 lb 2 Row
1.5 lb Flaked Maize
1.5 lb Vienna
1 lb Flaked Barley
1 lb Crystal 10L

2.3 oz Hersbrucker (2.6% AA) 60 minutes ===> I intended 2 oz but it was all I had left so I just went with it
0.5 oz Saaz (3% AA) 5 minutes
irish moss added with 15 minutes left
estimated IBU: 18.5

Wyeast Kolsch with 1 liter starter

Mashed at 152 degrees with 4 gallons
Sparged with 4.5 gallons 168 degree

90 minute boil with a little added water at the end to get a batch size of 5.5 gallons.
estimated og 1.050
measured 1.050

It was chilly during this week so I just put it near the window with a wet tshirt on it. It was at 60 for the first couple days. So I closed the window and it raised to 64 over the next 7 days. The 10th day I took a gravity reading and it was at 1.006. A little drier than I wanted it to get but oh well. I cold crashed it and racked it into the keg the next day. This was 15 days ago.

Now that I can taste them side by side I think I have to go with the opinions of the others who have attempted; I like mine better.
that being said, they are very close. They are both crisp and have that fruity tang right up front. My brew has a little more spice to it, and I do have to say that mine tastes a bit grassy at the end, which I suspect could be remedied by using little less sazz(or by using hallertauer instead of hersbrucker, which I now realize lends grassy flavors as well). They are almost identical bitterness wise, but I would still say that mine is a little bit stronger, so I could probably reduce the hersbrucker to 2 oz, to aim for 16 IBUs compared to the 18.5 I got. Mine is darker, but not by much. Mine is also cloudier, which is unusual given how clear my ales have been lately. This leads me to wonder if the flaked barley is to blame, as I have heard others tell about its potential for cloudiness.

If I were to attempt this again I would reduce the barley to half a pound, and probably use a bit less saaz adding it at flameout instead of 5 min(or just use hallertauer instead of hersbrucker). Mash at 154 to 156 for a higher FG, aim for 16-17 IBUs, and I probably wouldn't do anything about the crystal cause I like it looking darker anyways. :mug:

BTW they both are a bit clearer than they are in the pic

IMG_0041.jpg

Loving this thread. In fact, it got me - a forum lurker - to finally post.

My question is directed mostly at wookiemofo, if you're still hanging around this thread (but I'd love feedback from anyone). How did your partial mash recipe compare to the AG? I'm still not equipped for a full AG mash, and was going to do something close to your partial mash bill (from way back on #115 on this thread). My only change is to tone the extract down by a half pound to get to a 4.9% ABV (beersmith has your #115 recipe at 5.5%). Any thoughts?

It seems BeerNinja's AG recipe has also done well. That has a half pound of crystal in it. What are the thoughts on crystal in this recipe?

The first PM recipe that I did was the best of them all... I stopped brewing it because a) I got sick of it and b) each time I brewed it got farther and farther away from the real thing. Even my PM was far off but I kind of preferred it, as did all my friends. I was just never able to duplicate it.

If I were to brew again I'd use someone's recipe from these later posts... As far as crystal, I can't really speak to it. Been way too long. I don't recall it doing much for the sweetness though. Aside from my recipe being sweeter then the real deal.

I entered brewninjas recipe in my first homedrew contest and scored a 36.5 .... I was pleased with that ... one note said perfect example of the style ... I will be in Wisconsin next week for some real sc and ill do a side by side ... cheers cow lovers

Love how the thread is still alive and well. I went ahead and finally had time to brew my clone of Spotted Cow. This was also my first go at it using BIAB and I;d have to say it was a great experience. Let me know what you think of the recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out once it is ready!

Some things I noticed when brewing it: I didn't need to get the strike water that high, the grains only dropped the temp a degree or two. I will also use 9 gallons of water to start next time since I didn't get 5.5 gallons in the primary. My efficiency was low, I believe it was 63% so there are two things I'll do next time: I'll double crush the grains and I will do a 10 minute mash out at 170.

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 75 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 8.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 4.7%
IBU (tinseth): 18.61
SRM (morey): 4.02

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - Pale 2-Row (42.1%)
1.75 lb - Flaked Corn (18.4%)
0.75 lb - Flaked Barley (7.9%)
0.5 lb - Munich - Light 10L (5.3%)
2 lb - Pilsner (21.1%)
0.5 lb - Caramel / Crystal 10L (5.3%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Northern Brewer (AA 7.8) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Saaz (AA 3.5) for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

MASH STEPS:
1) Temp: 162 F, Time: 0 min, Amount: 32 qt, Strike Temp
2) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 75 min, Amount: 32 qt, Mash temp

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 oz - Irish Moss, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

It has been eight weeks since the last time that I brewed brewninja's recipe with the best results so far. The biggest thing that I have learned over the last year or so is that I must pay attention to my water to control mash pH and to remove chloramine. That has resulted in a marked improvement in my beer quality which is showing up in this recipe. I'm comfortable now making comments and suggestions.

I ended up with about 19 IBU's and a 1.049 wort. This is too bitter for the style and the malt flavor was lost.
The 20 min Saz appears to be out of place. I don't pick up any hop flavor in Spotted Cow and there is a touch of grassiness in the finish of my beer. I'll shoot for 16-17 IBU total bitterness the next time and reduce or eliminate the 20 min addition.

The first thing I need to do is not over-carbonate, that'll be an easy fix.

To bring out more maltiness, I plan to switch the 4 ounce C20L to an 8 ounce C10L. I'll leave the rest of the recipe alone for the time being.

I used 50/50 RO to dechlorinated Milwaukee tap water with about 50 ppm Ca and a 1.50:1 CL:SO4 ratio. I'm going to up the RO percentage and also bring the Ca to upwards of 100 ppm w/o adding any additional SO4. This should increase the Cl:SO4 ratio and hopefully smooth out the flavor a bit more.

I have a few more beer in front of this again, but I'll shoot for having a batch ready as we come out of winter hibernation in WI.

I have made six versions of Spotted Cow, and that is a lot for, because I am not really a fan. My friends are, and it was a challenge to try to make it as close as I could. Well, this version is my third, and I think it was the best. Unfortunately I don't remember if it was the closest to Spotted Cow, but it was really tasty.

We differ in our amounts of Crystal 20, Munich, and Flaked Barley. Also, I just used all 2-row for base malt. I think you will get more hop character from the 10 min of .5oz Saaz than I did. I don't think there will be a lot of difference between Hallertauer and Northern Brewer. Let us know how it turns out.

Spotted Cow Clone
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Boil Size: 3.14 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.86 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 4.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

3.50 lb Pale 2 Row US (2.0 SRM) 65.4%
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) 18.7%
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 9.3%
0.25 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 4.7%
0.10 lb Crystal Malt 20L (20.0 SRM) 1.9%
0.75 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.40%] Boil 60 min 13.1 IBUs
0.25 ts Irish Moss Boil 15.0 mins)
0.25 oz Saaz [6.80%] Boil 5.0 min 2.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Kolsch Yeast Wyeast Labs #2565

No Sparge Mash - Mash In - Add 16.16 qt of water at 160.9 F - 154.0 F for 60 min
going to try this 1 today. My hops are 6.5 percent German traditions though. Will see how it turns out thanks.

Well from what I've read so far is that there's no extract recipe to get a good clone of SC, but PM is feasible if you have a good supply of pots. I haven't had a SC in years and I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. This is definitely going to be my first batch when I'm finally settled here in FL.

Here's a PM recipe I made thats more on the extract side so there's very little grain malt. I have 3 hop additions (60, 30, 5) with a 5 min to get more aroma in there since Beerninja said there clone didn't have much of an aroma. Please take a look as I'm a type of Brewer that just throws stuff together and call it beer. Comments would be welcomed.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1661022

I modified the batch a little then brewed up a batch today. The small change I made was whats written on the SC label. I used 6 Row malt instead of the 2 row.

Here's what I have.

Spotted Ninja Cow
Boil Size: 7.5 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.5 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.5 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.0gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 81.6 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.6 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
5 lb Pale 6 Row US (2.0 SRM) 48.8%
2 lb Belgian Pilsner (2.0 SRM) 19.5%
1.75 lb Corn, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 17.1%
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 4.9%
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 4.9%
0.50 lb Crystal Malt 20L (20.0 SRM) 4.9%
0.50 oz Northern Brewer (8.5%) Boil 60 min 13.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [4.0%] Boil 30 min 4.8 IBUs
1.00 Whirlfloc tablet

No Sparge Mash - Mash In - Add 7.5gals of water at 160 F - 154.0 F for 90 min

dawgmatic said:
ok here's what I did

04/19/2012

5 lb 2 Row
1.5 lb Flaked Maize
1.5 lb Vienna
1 lb Flaked Barley
1 lb Crystal 10L

2.3 oz Hersbrucker (2.6% AA) 60 minutes ===> I intended 2 oz but it was all I had left so I just went with it
0.5 oz Saaz (3% AA) 5 minutes
irish moss added with 15 minutes left
estimated IBU: 18.5

Wyeast Kolsch with 1 liter starter

Mashed at 152 degrees with 4 gallons
Sparged with 4.5 gallons 168 degree

90 minute boil with a little added water at the end to get a batch size of 5.5 gallons.
estimated og 1.050
measured 1.050

It was chilly during this week so I just put it near the window with a wet tshirt on it. It was at 60 for the first couple days. So I closed the window and it raised to 64 over the next 7 days. The 10th day I took a gravity reading and it was at 1.006. A little drier than I wanted it to get but oh well. I cold crashed it and racked it into the keg the next day. This was 15 days ago.

Now that I can taste them side by side I think I have to go with the opinions of the others who have attempted; I like mine better.
that being said, they are very close. They are both crisp and have that fruity tang right up front. My brew has a little more spice to it, and I do have to say that mine tastes a bit grassy at the end, which I suspect could be remedied by using little less sazz(or by using hallertauer instead of hersbrucker, which I now realize lends grassy flavors as well). They are almost identical bitterness wise, but I would still say that mine is a little bit stronger, so I could probably reduce the hersbrucker to 2 oz, to aim for 16 IBUs compared to the 18.5 I got. Mine is darker, but not by much. Mine is also cloudier, which is unusual given how clear my ales have been lately. This leads me to wonder if the flaked barley is to blame, as I have heard others tell about its potential for cloudiness.

If I were to attempt this again I would reduce the barley to half a pound, and probably use a bit less saaz adding it at flameout instead of 5 min(or just use hallertauer instead of hersbrucker). Mash at 154 to 156 for a higher FG, aim for 16-17 IBUs, and I probably wouldn't do anything about the crystal cause I like it looking darker anyways. :mug:

BTW they both are a bit clearer than they are in the pic

I'll be brewing this tomorrow, per your suggestion I'm swapping hersbrucker for hallterauer.

Stir plate is spinning away, looking forward to brew day

I'll be brewing this tomorrow, per your suggestion I'm swapping hersbrucker for hallterauer.

Stir plate is spinning away, looking forward to brew day

Sounds great! Just to note, shortly after this brew I had recalibrated my hydrometer, forgot to post the changes. My fg was actually 1.010 so you prob don't need to mess with the mash temps

Ending up mashing at 154, dropped to 152 over an hour, it's well below freezing here so I should be alright.

FG: 1.05

Going with 1oz hallterauer (4.3%) at 60 min

1/2 Saaz (8.1%) at 5min

16.5 IBU

Finally took a sample for a gravity reading after 12 days in the primary. This beer is quite clear with nothing floating or settling in the bottom. Has that nice light SC haze to it. The taste and mouthfeel were pretty good but I couldn't really tell what I was tasting. I was heavily researching my next beer last night so that definitely affected by taste buds. lol My OG was at 1.055 and am now at 1.018. I'll let it sit 2 more days then keg it. No need to cold crash it unlike my kolsch. I figure a month in the keg and I'll be good to go!

I kegged this yesterday at 1.014 and will let it sit for awhile under CO2 (3+ weeks). I was surprised at the clarity which might suggest that the 6 row had something to do with it. Until then I have another beer or two up my sleeve.

I modified the batch a little then brewed up a batch today. The small change I made was whats written on the SC label. I used 6 Row malt instead of the 2 row.

Here's what I have.

Spotted Ninja Cow
Boil Size: 7.5 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.5 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.5 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.0gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 81.6 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.6 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
5 lb Pale 6 Row US (2.0 SRM) 48.8%
2 lb Belgian Pilsner (2.0 SRM) 19.5%
1.75 lb Corn, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 17.1%
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 4.9%
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 4.9%
0.50 lb Crystal Malt 20L (20.0 SRM) 4.9%
0.50 oz Northern Brewer (8.5%) Boil 60 min 13.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [4.0%] Boil 30 min 4.8 IBUs
1.00 Whirlfloc tablet

No Sparge Mash - Mash In - Add 7.5gals of water at 160 F - 154.0 F for 90 min

Any tasting notes on this yet?

Wanted to do my first all grain with this one. Does this look correct based off the original posted here? I converted to 5g and I'm new to beersmith...

Robert

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com

Recipe: Spotted Cow

Brewer: Robert King

Asst Brewer:

Style: Kolsch

Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 5.70 gal

Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal

Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal

Estimated OG: 1.049 SG

Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM

Estimated IBU: 17.8 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 14.2 oz Pilsen Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Grain 1 63.6 %
1 lbs 2.1 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 2 12.2 %
1 lbs 2.1 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 3 12.2 %
1 lbs 1.6 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 11.9 %
1.10 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil Hop 5 17.8 IBUs
0.62 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.2 pkg Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [1000.0 Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: My Mash

Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 4.0 oz

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Sacc rest Add 13.88 qt of water at 161.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 3.34 gal water at 168.0 F

It turned out quite well, I haven't yet got a chance to do a side - side testing, I'm really hoping to this weekend if my uncle hasn't guzzled down the 6 pack he bought.

I'll post a picture next I drink one. Turned out pretty clear and easy drinking. I carbed it a little high, but it's nice and smooth. Slightly corny/malty taste that is balanced pretty well but some sweetness. not overly fruity without much hop bitterness.

Finally found some SC to do some comparative testing

Little more body and definitely win in the head retention department. Slight fruitless as well in mine vs the original.

Family concludes: I win

image-544463409.jpg

image-1140867584.jpg

I brewed the brewninja recipe posted somewhere in this thread. It turned out amazing. It's probably one of the best cream ales that I've had. Way better than anything you can buy commercially. Now, I'm intrigued with the style. I have 5 gallons in the keg and 5 gallons in bottles. I fear that both will go quickly. Good light brew.

Primary for 3 weeks, keg 1 week at room temp, then put on gas. Tapped the keg 1 week later. Very smooth, clear, and literally had no flaws. I used WLP Kolsch yeast, fermented at about 66 degrees.

Just brewed a 2.4g batch of the brewninja recipe late last night, my 2nd all-grain I've done, and the first with my homemade cooler mash tun. I hit about 70%, which I'm happy with, and it's bubbling away downstairs at about 67F. Wondering if I should put it out in the garage for a while, where it's a bit cooler.

I went with a mash at 152 and a one hour boil, with Northern Brewer and some leftover Willamett(sp).

That whirfloc sure works, there's a LOAD of stuff separating out!

Scott

Don't ferment this one too cold. I've tried everything from 58 to 70 degrees and appreciated the flavors that came out in the warmer ferments. At 58-60 deg it is just too clean without any appreciable (however mild) fruitiness.

I also brewed this with Wyeast's American Ale II yeast with good results. Honey malt doesn't work so well though...

Thanks for the input. Had it out in the garage yesterday for a while, but brought it back in last night after getting home from a family get-together.

I had a blow-off tube on it, but it looked like it was gonna be pretty mellow, so I put an airlock on it before I left -- wrong move!

While I was gone the krausen welled up and plugged the airlock, and I got home just in time to relieve it before it blew, so only a little mess. The tube went back on, of course.

It's been sitting in a 66-67f area for most of the time, so far, and looking good.

Thanks!

Scott

The garage smells like stale beer! More cleanup to do. Glad it wasn't in the house.

The fermentation has now calmed down quite-a-bit.

How long do you recommend to keep this in primary? The standard 4 to 7 days?

Scott

Longer if you are not doing a secondary brightening. The Wyeast Kolsch yeast is very powdery and takes a while to clean and clear up. I generally do about three weeks primary, 2-3 day cold crash, and then bottle/keg. The yeast can be a bit nutty/vegetal tasting right after fermentation so bottle conditioning generally takes 3-6 weeks IME. I've not found this beer to be a quick drinker.

I went ahead and bottled tonight, after only a few days in secondary. It was definitely done, and I couldn't wait! I'm not that concerned with clearing, as you can tell...

One thing though, the sample tasted good but a corn flavor is there -- is that gonna mellow out a bit?

Edit -- been doing some research on DMS, and this recipe does have some pilsner malt in it. While I did a 60 minute rather than 90 minute boil, I kept the lid off and chilled pretty quickly with a wort chiller. So I'm not sure if the corniness is from the corn itself or from DMS from the pilsner, and for that matter if it's even gonna bother anyone. I don't remember smelling corn during the boil, just malt, like usual.

Any input welcome.

Scott

I've been pretty impatient with this brew, and I had to try one of my bottles last night. Carbonation is coming along, but not all the way there yet as it's only four days in the bottle.

The DMS/corn flavor is there, but not bad, and it's overall pretty good. I have to keep in mind though, I've never tasted DMS before, so I don't know for sure if that's what I'm tasting. I think I'm gonna brew this again soon, maybe even this weekend, and use a harder boil for a full 90 minutes to see if that makes a difference. I was doing a direct comparison to a Spotted Cow, too.

Scott

Scottie61 said:
I've been pretty impatient with this brew, and I had to try one of my bottles last night. Carbonation is coming along, but not all the way there yet as it's only four days in the bottle.

The DMS/corn flavor is there, but not bad, and it's overall pretty good. I have to keep in mind though, I've never tasted DMS before, so I don't know for sure if that's what I'm tasting. I think I'm gonna brew this again soon, maybe even this weekend, and use a harder boil for a full 90 minutes to see if that makes a difference. I was doing a direct comparison to a Spotted Cow, too.

Scott

I've found the Wyeast Kolsch to give off a corny flavor during fermentation and bottle conditioning. I'm going to be brewing this on again soon but I keg now so I'm hoping to get around the flavor lag to drinking time.

Back