Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justiniamp

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have a quick, rookie question about a recipe:

I want to brew Victory and Chaos IPA from John Palmer's book...but I am a bit confused on the recipe.

The recipe says:
Malts:
8lbs Pale Male Extract (Syrup)
1/2lb Crystal 120L Malt

Then it says later on - Options:
All-Extract: 7lbs Pale Malt LME, 2lbs Amber DME
All-Grain: 10lbs British Pale Ale Malt, 1/2lb Crystal 120L Malt

My confusion enters here: I am not set up to do All-Grain, so I want to do an all-extract here, but I am not sure which Malts to use. Obviously I would use the All-Extract 7lbs Pale and 2lbs Amber, but is this in addition to the 8lbs Pale Malt and 1/2lb Crystal 120L malt (doesn't seem likely). Alternatively, do I just ignore the Malts section and go with what the All-Extract section says? If that is the case, why is the Malts section of the recipe even there since it does not match up with All-Extract OR All-Grain options?

The recipe link is here if you want to observe it: http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter19-3.html
just scroll down.

Thanks for any help!

if you're doing the All-Extract version, just use those extracts listed there, the LME & DME

in the original recipe, the syrup is giving you the fermentables, the crystal 120 is giving you the color

in the all-extract version, the LME is giving you most of the fermentables, the amber DME is giving you fermentables and color

difference between the 2 is that the LME/syrup and DME are liquid and dry extracts, respectively and crystal 120 is actual grains. don't need to mash them, just steep them

3 different versions because some people might not have the means or methods to crush the grains. or don't want to be bothered with it. or for whatever reason.

the reason you would go with a crystal instead of the DME for color is you get a wider range of colors from the different crystals than you do relying on extracts

extracts have color values of 3, 8, 12 & 17
crystal/caramels are 10, 20, 30, 40, 60, 80 & 120

Back