how much is too much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellcaminio

Reaction score
We CANNOT get our efficiency right. Every batch we have done has been low. We have tried to resolve this in a few ways but nothing is working. So, my question is, how many lbs of grains are too much for your typical 5 gallon beginners system?

thanks ahead of time

Using a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler 12lbs of grain and 4 gallons of strike water is perfect you can go up to 14lbs of grain with 3.5 gallons of strike water, but ive always gotten lower eff.

Ill go as low as 8lbs of grain to 4 gallons of water. I crush pretty fine, probably finer then most, but has worked well.

I believe that crush is one of the most important processes for acheiving a higher efficiency. Others are water/grain ratio and process.

How low are we talking? Because not everyone can or should be operating at 90% efficiency.

Usually in these threads someone's volume is off, crush is bad, thermometer is off, or they're not calibrating for temperature with their hydrometer reading. Like these guys said, we have to know your process.

Typical mash thickness is 1.5 qts per pound of grain.
Minimum (thick mash) is 1.25 qts per pound of grain.

For a 12 lb grain bill you need 3.75 Gallons water (@ 1.25 qt/lb)

If you make a thicker mash your efficiency will suffer. Consider reducing the base grains and adding some DME to make higher gravity beers with your existing mash tun.

Back