I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, hubby and I decided to work on the bottle some more. He's passed out, I'm heading that way too.

You know, we wouldn't want the bottle to spoil since it's already been opened. :p Will go ahead and finish it off. Don't want it to spoil or go bad!

I don't even have the energy to pour another drink, so that whole plan is a no-go.. Perhaps the bottle will not spoil until next weekend. :drunk:

Yeah, much better.... not.... you are no help, GN! Loving you through a cloud of blue mushrooms ;)

You're braver than I. I don't touch a chainsaw after drinking beer.

20 cord is a lot of wood. Full cord or face cord?

I'll bet you smell good now (pine, love it!)

We blocked it all. I will go over today and take a photo of the pile. Man when I was young I could do that all day every day but now I am glad it is done and I can take a break for a bit.

Heck I am going to have to take a break for a bit just to get caught up sharpening saws and such.

For me a face cord of wood is full lengths of wood on a trailer. Lots of people will buy wood that way and block it at their house saving a bit of money. I do not like selling wood in length simply because it is a turkey shoot if you are giving them a fair cord of wood and I do not like to short people.

I would rather block it and then stack it in the trailer insuring that I give a fair cord. Heck I always throw a bit more on just to make sure they get a full cord but I figure I will give a cord that I would like to receive. Seems to work since I sell all the wood every year to the same group of people.

A few years ago a neighbor had a great big popular fall over that was on a island in the middle of a pond so I had to wait for the pond to freeze over before I could get it. The frozen wood cut real easy which kind of surprised me but splitting it just sucked. When it gave way it would jump up and more than once it hit me.

This wood was at a car dealership. The dealership had these great big windows that faced us and while we were working there was a gaggle of people in that window watching us. I kind of felt like I was in a zoo exhibit for the people to enjoy. It was weird working in town as well. When I am up in the hills working you have to make sure you take everything you need for the day but in town you just run to the store for oil or more beer :D

I went to go see my head doctor today and they didn't try to lock me up, so I guess that means I am sane enough to be out in public. :rolleyes:

It snowed here. My hands and feet hurt. I think I'll have some hot chocolate, maybe with a little west indies goods in it...

This week it will be high 80s and 90s here. I need to dig out my mosquito suit too, they are getting bad. Once I was working in the big garden wearing my suit when I first got it and my sister thought she saw a little big foot. Went running in the house for my nephew to quick come look!

Still snowing here. Had to bottle my concord wine. It was starting to taste a bit like soy sauce.

Terrible news. Agree with Dan, thoughts and prayers to all those impacted.

I was curious about the earlier statement that cell phone service had been shutdown and then I see this one: "Verizon Wireless has not been asked by any government agency to turn down its wireless service," a spokesman for that company told CNN. "Any reports to that effect are inaccurate." Not sure I understood how shutting down the service would help.

Terrible news. Agree with Dan, thoughts and prayers to all those impacted.

I was curious about the earlier statement that cell phone service had been shutdown and then I see this one: "Verizon Wireless has not been asked by any government agency to turn down its wireless service," a spokesman for that company told CNN. "Any reports to that effect are inaccurate." Not sure I understood how shutting down the service would help.
Probably just a weak spot in the network, and it got flooded right afterwards.

I don't like watching the news. 9/11 changed my life, things like this bring me back to those feelings. Turn off the TV and be oblivious to it. Though I did say some quick prayers for the victims. When I pray it's to the forces that be, God or whatever you want to call it.

Been chatting with my son the past hour or 2, helping him with a sewing project. :)

...Been chatting with my son the past hour or 2, helping him with a sewing project. :)
That sounds interesting.

Some nights are like that for me too, like a crack fiend trying to get another hit. Usually when I am trying to figure something out and waiting for help.
Not sure why I'm just kinda stuck here tonight. Usually I just hit up what I'm working on and then am done. Maybe it's the snow...

On a lighter note! (I know, I started the topic)

Anybody had the opportunity to run the Boston Marathon? I have, sort of. The good people of Boston extended their marathon to those of us serving overseas. At least in one war torn country. I know that for a fact because it was my 44th birthday and I ran it on a military installation near Ragdad.

Truth be told for me as a relay with three other 40-50 year old guys. There were other relay teams and many people that ran all 26+ miles and some ran half marathon.

The race started at three in the morning to beat the desert heat. I was so excited I didn't sleep that night or much the night before and by the time I got to the race was running on adrenalin.

We didn't do to bad, not great either but it sure was fun! We even got a Boston Marathon medallion out of it.

boston-marathon-2008-59462.jpg

Dan, you never cease to amaze me with your coolness!

As far as what happened today... I'm really at a loss for words. I mean, I am certainly sorry for those who experienced this directly and I'm also sorry for the families of those whom were lost or hurt, but... What the hell is wrong with people in this world? Sometimes it's really hard to have faith in mankind or any spirituality.

It is hard to understand and have faith sometimes that is for sure Mike. We just got to keep reminding ourselves that there are still many more good people than bad in this world. Or maybe not, I don't know.

Not sure good to evil is on a even keel. I suppose it depends on many things. Even day and night hours aren't evenly numbered and vary from place to place.

I see the evil and then I see someone like Carlos Arrendondo. Read the YouTube notes and watch the video. Pretty amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan.. It all seems like such an easy thing, yet at the same time it's so difficult.

It's cliché, but "Why can't we all just get along?"..

I've had a good amount to drink tonight (D@mn that new keezer! Worse than Lays potato chips), so I won't get all deep with religion, faith, and belief. I'll just say... Everyone in this thread is alright by me! You're all a bunch of good folks, and I'm glad to know ya'!

Ecclesiastes 3:1 said:
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
Perhaps it is the winter of the world. Well, even on the darkest and longest night of the year my hearth fire burns as brightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are more good people than bad people, just that the bad ones get most of the attention.

I have never done a marathon but ran track in school. I was one of the best at long distances, so not sure why I gave it up. Maybe the shin splints. Also bursted a vein in one of my calves and it still sticks way out. Well, maybe bursted is the wrong word, it got loose and came to the surface I guess one day I can have surgery to have the protruding vein put back. But at least I can look at it and check my pulse.

My son wants to make a "Link" costume for himself. I didn't bother asking why. Told him how much fabric he'd need and how to use the sewing machine, which he already knows from watching me, and he has used one before when he was little and interested in things like sewing. Send him a simple pattern to use. Explained how to cut and sew the hat, the tunic....

...My son wants to make a "Link" costume for himself. I didn't bother asking why. Told him how much fabric he'd need and how to use the sewing machine, which he already knows from watching me, and he has used one before when he was little and interested in things like sewing. Send him a simple pattern to use. Explained how to cut and sew the hat, the tunic....
I hope he has fun, whatever he is planning on using the costume for. :fro:

Dan.. It all seems like such an easy thing, yet at the same time it's so difficult.

It's cliché, but "Why can't we all just get along?"..

I've had a good amount to drink tonight (D@mn that new keezer! Worse than Lays potato chips), so I won't get all deep with religion, faith, and belief. I'll just say... Everyone in this thread is alright by me! You're all a bunch of good folks, and I'm glad to know ya'!

I always think like that when I hit the keezer. There are a bunch of good eggs in here though. That's for sure!

Hey Dan, next relay marathon, I'll take the first block or so. Maybe two if there is a cold beer and a smoke at the end;)

There are more good people than bad people, just that the bad ones get most of the attention.

I have never done a marathon but ran track in school. I was one of the best at long distances, so not sure why I gave it up. Maybe the shin splints. Also bursted a vein in one of my calves and it still sticks way out. Well, maybe bursted is the wrong word, it got loose and came to the surface I guess one day I can have surgery to have the protruding vein put back. But at least I can look at it and check my pulse.

My son wants to make a "Link" costume for himself. I didn't bother asking why. Told him how much fabric he'd need and how to use the sewing machine, which he already knows from watching me, and he has used one before when he was little and interested in things like sewing. Send him a simple pattern to use. Explained how to cut and sew the hat, the tunic....

I got the best grade in home-ec on my sewing project. That was the last time I ever sewed with a machine. I can crochet and cross stitch and I am pretty good with knots. Who can tie a bowline on a bight?

I got the best grade in home-ec on my sewing project. That was the last time I ever sewed with a machine. I can crochet and cross stitch and I am pretty good with knots. Who can tie a bowline on a bight?
I know how to tie a bow, does that count. :p
Can you tie one of these?
gordian_knot.jpg

Latest posts

Back